AFSOF Pics

Those Ospreys are scary. My buddy is a crew chief on one, and he has crashed 4 times in the last 5 years.

I don't know what he considers a crash to be, but the Marines have only had (IIRC) 1-2 crashes in the last four years.
After doing a little research (web only) it looks like we have only lost 7 V-22's since 2000. The number of class A's (1 million dollars or a loss of life) is higher than that, up to 10.

I guess we would have to define what we call a "crash", whether that be an IFE resulting in an uncontrolled or emergency landing/hard landing.

Not calling anyone a liar- but I know 3 of those class A's were USAF 22's, so yea.

Those Ospreys are scary...
After doing a little research (web only) it looks like we have only lost 7 V-22's since 2000. The number of class A's (1 million dollars or a loss of life) is higher than that, up to 10.

I guess we would have to define what we call a "crash", whether that be an IFE resulting in an uncontrolled or emergency landing/hard landing.

Not calling anyone a liar- but I know 3 of those class A's were USAF 22's, so yea.
If they're good enough to put the POTUS on one, well, that probably serves as a ringing endorsement, right? Oh, wait...they're not putting him on it yet. ;-)

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...oyed-for-first-time-in-support-of-Marine-one/

"Hey, you guys ahead! I'll just take this old beater..." :)

Last edited:
Just to reiterate for everyone's benefit:
If the photos are within the last decade, they need to be accompanied by a link to a .mil website OR they need to be edited for PERSEC (names and faces blacked out).

Last edited:
I don't know what he considers a crash to be, but the Marines have only had (IIRC) 1-2 crashes in the last four years.

When I was with 3/7 Lima we were the first Marines to be flown around in an Osprey in full combat load to test the bird's ability to carry a fully loaded squad of Marines out in 29 Palms back in 05. While we all had gallows humor about it, it was honestly the smoothest flight in a bird I've ever been on, quick as hell too!

Back