Air Force identifies airman who died during SERE training

Yosemite

Verified Military
Air Force identifies airman who died during SERE training

"A 21-year-old airman from Livermore, California, died July 7 while attending the Air Force's Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape training, Air Education and Training Command said Tuesday.

Airman 1st Class Kenneth Sturgill of Livermore, California, was found unresponsive by SERE instructors during what AETC called a routine safety check. Military and civilian medical personnel were unable to revive him. AETC said in a release that Sturgill died on his 18th of 19 days at the SERE Selection School at Joint Base San Antonio-Camp Bullis in Texas.

Sturgill was assigned to the 66th Training Squadron, Detachment 3.

AETC is investigating the cause of his death.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Airman Sturgill's family and friends during this very difficult time," Lt. Col. Clint Rea, commander of the 66th, said in the release. "We will continue to offer them all of our support."

AETC spokesman Capt. Jose Davis said Sturgill recently joined the Air Force, though he was not sure when. Davis said AETC hopes to release additional information on Sturgill's death later this week.

A photograph of Sturgill was not available, Davis said."

Not sure where this should be posted so I hope this is okay.

This was a buddy of mine from high school.
Does anyone know any other details that they are allowed to share at this time?
Such an unfortunate event; all he ever wanted in life was to become a Special Tactics Airman and he was willing to give his life for it.
Rest in paradise

Oof. Training deaths are the worst, and with the recent SEAL candidate death, this will likely get heightened attention.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Oh yeah, I remember that. I wonder how they will address it this time

I am sorry to hear of this happening, and you have my sympathies.

Give the USAF a chance to complete an investigation, and publish it's findings. There is no reason to compare this mishap to what happened during SEAL training. They happened in two very different worlds. As an old USAF IG Team member, I am confident that the investigation will be proper and accurately reported.

Oof. Training deaths are the worst, and with the recent SEAL candidate death, this will likely get heightened attention.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.
I am sorry to hear of this happening, and you have my sympathies.

Give the USAF a chance to complete an investigation, and publish it's findings. There is no reason to compare this mishap to what happened during SEAL training. They happened in two very different worlds. As an old USAF IG Team member, I am confident that the investigation will be proper and accurately reported.
Yeah, double agree. Word we are getting initially is heat stroke/casualty. Sad story.

Back