Almost there heading to meps soon

Calichamp105

Unverified
Im 34 signing an 11x contract. Im hoping while in the military i can get a shot at SFAS only thing is my recruiter says i will be too old for SF and its rare people get a shot at my age (or age waiver). Im asking real SF people what chance do i have to go to SFAS at
age 35,36 or so on ??
Thanks again for your time.

Do some leg work, and apply for waivers. You may be able to get an 18x contract if you do enough work. I have a buddy who I went through the Course with. He was an 18x, and is now SF. He was in his late 30's when he went through Basic training and the pipeline.

I went to SUT with a 40-something year old 18X. Dude crushed it physically. Take that for what you will.

It is absolutely in the realm of possibility for a guy your age to go to SFAS and there are multiple paths you can take to get there.

I went through OSUT with 11X contract holders who were able to switch over to 18X contracts via the SF Liaison/Recruiter at Sand Hill. In this particular case, and many examples posted in "Letters from School" type threads throughout the SOF related forums, the SF Liaison came by our platoons while in OSUT to give a a pitch and seek out 11X dudes who were interested in going to SFAS. They specifically offered contracts to people who spoke a foreign language, had solid PT scores, and met the ASVAB GT score requirement. This is not to say that you won't receive the same opportunity if you arn't able to speak a foreign language. Be a fucking stud and engage the SF Liason when he comes through; convey yourself and your intent in a manner that will give him a reason to want to give you a shot.

Alternatively, there are tons of guys who obtain age waivers while already assigned to Army units by working with SORB recruiters. I went through the pipeline with a 42 year old Group chaplain, a 34 year old Group doctor, and a 36 year old prior-service Marine.

@DeadZeppelin already said it, but it is worth re-emphasizing; do your research, put in the legwork. It is rare that a question you might have has not been previously asked by someone who was once in the same shoes, your original post included. There is a wealth of information available on this board and other SOF forums from both actual Green Berets and SF hopefuls; seek out that information and educate yourself with it.

Good luck to you, make it happen.

Last edited:
Back