ANG Airmen rescue researcher from glacier

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123343688

The Guys in Alaska do it again.

4/9/2013 - CAMP DENALI, Alaska (AFNS) -- Airmen with the Alaska Air National Guard's 210th, 211th and 212th Rescue Squadrons rescued a snowmobiler who fell 80 feet into a glacier crevasse April 4.

According to the Associated Press, Tom Douglas, 41, of Fairbanks, landed unhurt on his feet on a ledge at Jarvis Glacier near Delta Junction.

Alaska State Troopers notified the 11th Air Force Rescue Coordination Center at 6:15 p.m. that a researcher conducting ice and snow tests needed assistance after he and the snowmobile he was riding fell into a crevasse.

"Because of the nature of the mission and need for a specially equipped glacier rescue team and possible hoist requirement, the Alaska Air National Guard was requested to support the rescue," said Senior Master Sgt. Robert Carte, superintendent, 11th Air Force RCC. "They accepted the mission at 6:35 p.m. and were airborne at 7:22 p.m. enroute to the scene."

Using an HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter and HC-130 "King" aircraft, Alaska Air National Guardsmen with the 210th, 211th and 212th Rescue Squadrons from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson flew to the scene 33 miles south-southeast of Delta Junction.

The HC-130 was first on the scene at 8:30 p.m. and the HH-60 arrived 20 minutes later with Guardian Angels onboard both aircraft.

"The HH-60 set down gently on the surface of the glacier at 8:50 p.m., while the Guardian Angel team assessed the safety of the area," Carte said. "The team leader stepped out onto one of the skis of the helicopter and probed the snow to check the stability and once he determined it was safe, the Guardian Angels departed the helicopter, roped up together for glacier operations."

Traversing 100 meters across the glacier in two-man rope teams, four Guardian Angels moved slowly across the potentially unstable surface to the three-foot wide crevasse where the snowmobiler had fallen into hours earlier.

"The survivor was discovered about 80 feet down into the crevasse," said Maj. Joe Conroy, commander of the 212th Rescue Squadron, Alaska Air National Guard. "There was some concern about him getting past the snow machine, which was on some kind of ledge, so we lowered a harness and climbing tools down to him so he could move himself up safely past the snow machine before Guardian Angels helped him the rest of the way."

At 10:20 p.m. the Guardian Angels secured Douglas and safely airlifted him to Donnelly Airfield where he was dropped off with Alaska State Troopers with no injuries at 11 p.m.

Douglas said he blamed himself for the mishap, saying in the Associated Press article that he has spent a lot of time on the glacier. Venturing into an area he didn't know was safe was a mistake, he told the AP.

Let me just say that this is awesome, and yet another example of these PARARESCUEMEN doing great work. You know what I have an issue with?

....HH-60 arrived 20 minutes later with Guardian Angels onboard both aircraft....Guardian Angel team ...the Guardian Angels departed the helicopter.... Guardian Angels moved .... Guardian Angels.... Guardian Angels secured Douglas and safely airlifted him...
Let me say that this is only my opinion, I am not speaking for anyone, I don't even know if anyone else has ever voiced this opinion, but this is horsecrap.

The article was not referencing a 'guardian angel team', it was talking about the PJ's on board, a Pararescue Team. No 'guardian angels' were involved in this rescue, it was Pararescuemen that got off the helicopter and rescued the lost dude, came back to the helicopter, and flew home.

I don't know if this was intentional, or how it was written, or whatever, but this is freaking ridiculous to me. The Guardian Angel Weapons System is just fine and dandy, but the word 'Pararescueman' wasn't used a single time.

Let's see someone go ahead and enlist to be a 'guardian angel', or better yet- I can't WAIT to have someone ask me, 'Oh, you're a PJ? What's that? Is it like a guardian angel?

:mad::wall:

The article was not referencing a 'guardian angel team', it was talking about the PJ's on board, a Pararescue Team. No 'guardian angels' were involved in this rescue, it was Pararescuemen that got off the helicopter and rescued the lost dude, came back to the helicopter, and flew home.

I don't know if this was intentional, or how it was written, or whatever, but this is freaking ridiculous to me. The Guardian Angel Weapons System is just fine and dandy, but the word 'Pararescueman' wasn't used a single time.

Just to point out something:

"The HH-60 set down gently on the surface of the glacier at 8:50 p.m., while the Guardian Angel team assessed the safety of the area," Carte said.

"The survivor was discovered about 80 feet down into the crevasse," said Maj. Joe Conroy, commander of the 212th Rescue Squadron, Alaska Air National Guard. "There was some concern about him getting past the snow machine, which was on some kind of ledge, so we lowered a harness and climbing tools down to him so he could move himself up safely past the snow machine before Guardian Angels helped him the rest of the way."

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't blame the reporters when the CoC is using the term. I'm no fan of reporters, at all, but in this case they may not be the problem...

Good job.

Walking on a glacier is a tad nerve racking, they can be dangerous bastards.

Good job.

Walking on a glacier is a tad nerve racking, they can be dangerous bastards.
Uh, yeah. I walked around the huge Icelandic glacier, and it was really not cool. You would see what looked like a little gap in the snow, and it was actually a 200 ft crevasse that narrowed as it went. The Icelandic Glacier Rescue guys we were with were telling us that it was the worst, because you'd catch your crampon as you fell, severely break your arms/legs, and then end up wedged- painfully- in a confined space. Awful.

Uh, yeah. I walked around the huge Icelandic glacier, and it was really not cool. You would see what looked like a little gap in the snow, and it was actually a 200 ft crevasse that narrowed as it went. The Icelandic Glacier Rescue guys we were with were telling us that it was the worst, because you'd catch your crampon as you fell, severely break your arms/legs, and then end up wedged- painfully- in a confined space. Awful.

I remember on a deer hunting trip in NZ, I was all alone with a glacier in my way, I knew if it went wrong I'd most likely never be found.
So like a dumbass I grabbed my balls and crossed it. I also went down to the terminal face and walked up inside it for a distance, I got some great photos, something so extraordinary and beautiful I'll never forget it.

Glaciers suck! Great work by those dudes in AK...bit surprised the weight of their obviously giant balls didn't cause them to fall through the ice...probably had to drag them behind them on special tactical nut sleds

Back