Another SEAL book is due to come out.

Or "Kill Bin Laden" or "Operation Darkheart?" Or "Not A Good Day to Die," "Killing Pablo," or, perhaps most famous of all, "Black Hawk Down?"

BHD, Killing Pablo, and Not a Good Day to Die don't count, those were authors writing ABOUT the military. Totally different situation. I would never knock a unit for having books written ABOUT them. Honestly, I don't really have a problem with a guy here and there that comes out with a book. It's when it becomes embedded in unit culture that I think it has gone too far.

EDIT: Damnit FF, you beat me to it!

Agreed, but look at the "density" of the books. I'm not defending their actions, but they were a trickle or a drop here and there. Perception is reality and it seems that in the last year the SEAL community has worked overtime to release material. Also, some of the books you mention weren't authored by the servicemember, but were done as part of a larger book on a larger subject; the SEAL books are all "I was there" material.

Roger. But the original question was,
"I mean when was the last time you saw a book about Rangers, or the Army's tier 1 "element"?

BHD, Killing Pablo, and Not a Good Day to Die don't count, those were authors writing ABOUT the military. Totally different situation. I would never knock a unit for having books written ABOUT them. Honestly, I don't really have a problem with a guy here and there that comes out with a book. It's when it becomes embedded in unit culture that I think it has gone too far.

Of course they count, even if we discount the fact that I was responding to the question I quoted above. Those stories may not have been written by Army SOF, but who gave the writers access/information? Bowden and Naylor didn't just make that stuff up on the fly, and they weren't physically on site for most of the action. Somebody talked to them. Someone with firsthand knowledge.

Moreover, I'm not sure that the Navy comes out that far ahead (i.e. in the bad column) of the Army in terms of recent (last five years) SOF-related tell-alls. Maybe the Navy folks just write better books?

I wonder how many hits you'd get on a search for "intelligence," it's probably off the charts. 8-)

It's probably be like searching for "french military victories"... :ROFLMAO:

french.jpg

I wanted to take this opportunity to announce a new book I'm writing/publishing/editing/turning into a feature-length motion picture. It's called, "The Essential MRE Cookbook" by Squidward Tentacles. It'll have everything from Ranger Pudding to Key Lime Pie all from the comfort of your favorite rock or something.......

I wanted to take this opportunity to announce a new book I'm writing/publishing/editing/turning into a feature-length motion picture. It's called, "The Essential MRE Cookbook" by Squidward Tentacles. It'll have everything from Ranger Pudding to Key Lime Pie all from the comfort of your favorite rock or something.......

Pretty sure it's been done already. I think the Tobasco people put it out...

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

-Yeats

Back