Anyone doing any Climbing these days? (Climbing thread!)

Sir, you are not a bad-ass until you climb using prusik knots, not ascenders... just sayin.

Done it and it it fuckin hard core hard! My legs & arms burned for the rest of the day and I only climbed about 20 feet.

Sir, you are not a bad-ass until you climb using prusik knots, not ascenders... just sayin.

I was watching the live coverage of Best Ranger competition a few weeks ago, and some of the competitors were ascending a rope using some sort of weird hand and foot loop contraption. Is that what prusik knots are?

I was watching the live coverage of Best Ranger competition a few weeks ago, and some of the competitors were ascending a rope using some sort of weird hand and foot loop contraption. Is that what prusik knots are?
Could have been- you'll tie two, one longer for your foot, so you can stand and slide the hand up, lock off your harness, sit, slide up the foot, stand up, slide up the hand- you get the idea.

Prusik knot ascents are freaking terrible. Simply awful. I wanted to cut off my forearms after about 10 feet.

I have one buddy from College (he went MI, the weenie) that is still amazed that I never lost a prusik race - here are the rules - locked down milspec 3 strand lay climbing rope, milspec non locking carabiners, leather gloves, max of 5 sling ropes... location 75' overhang at stadium - tie off at top over rail to repair eyes -tie off at bottom to repair eyes (untimed for tie off, but inspected - personal choice for slack in climber. Timed portion - from 20' away from the base of your rope, with your sling ropes and carabiners "Go" is called, no order set but tie a swiss seat, tie minimum 3 prusic (center of line worked best) loops (both feet and seat) - hook in climb to top verified by instructor at top who hands you a flag - descend untie prusics, remove swiss seat, coil all sling ropes used, return to start.... this was done single elimination round robin style no more than 3 at a time... so if you won the first heat, you stayed on your lane... I won it from first heat consistently (I think SGM B and MSG H had something to do with me being in the first heat all the time)... and felt like I had been beaten with the coiled sling ropes...

BRC Prussik = most painful sixty seconds of your life (72 seconds for me because I sucked at it).

Anyone living in the MD area? Thinking of doing a trip to the Gunks for the spring. I can climb a solid 5.8 and on a good day a 5.9. Open to anyone climbing indoors too at Earthtrek.

Meh, just under 2 years is amateur necroposting. There are some newbs who come around and resurrect 6-7 year old posts. :-o
Usually in the "XYZ pix" forums. :D

To update this a little: I went climbing a few weeks back after taking a year and a half off and got totally stuffed by a bitty little 5.8!

I do a lot of Bouldering, most of my climbing is done in the gym. But its been a while...

Could have been- you'll tie two, one longer for your foot, so you can stand and slide the hand up, lock off your harness, sit, slide up the foot, stand up, slide up the hand- you get the idea.

Prusik knot ascents are freaking terrible. Simply awful. I wanted to cut off my forearms after about 10 feet.

They will wear your ass out and then some.

Some really bad news in the climbing world lately

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68190

12-year-old Italian climbing prodigy Tito Claudio Traversa has passed away after being hospitalized from a 50-foot groundfall. Grimper.com reports that Traversa was warming up on a 6b sport climb at the popular limestone venue of Orpierre, France, during a trip with his local climbing wall team, which included 10 kids and three adults.
Apparently, the quickdraws used to equip the route were slung incorrectly, which resulted in total failure and a groundfall. Details regarding the improper usage of the quickdraws are still vague, however, a rough translation of Grimper's report notes that the slings on the draws were attached to the carabiners incorrectly. The report indicates that the slings were improperly attached to the plastic/rubber device used to keep the carabiners from turning on the slings. Therefore these mechanisms were the only attachment between the sling and the carabiner and are apparently what failed as they are not intended to hold a fall.

At least you can say that the kid died doing what he loved.

Back