ANZAC Day 2008

pardus

Verified Military
I hope all my ANZAC brothers are having a great ANZAC day.

Enjoy the commemorations and chat with some old vets, have a few beers for me, I'll do the same tomorrow for you.

ANZAC day is one time I really do wish I was back home, I miss it a lot...

Attachments

• flagbottom2.jpg
    flagbottom2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 10
  • ANZACS_Timor.jpg
    ANZACS_Timor.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 13

Enjoy the commemorations and chat with some old vets, have a few beers for me, I'll do the same tomorrow for you.

Enjoy your day, mates!

Point of Inquiry, kind sir...

Pardus: serious question, for cultural clarity...

Is "Waltzing Matilda" a song that is specifically Australian, specificially EnZed, or does it transcend across the ANZAC claimancy?

Thanks.

Is "Waltzing Matilda" a song that is specifically Australian, specificially EnZed, or does it transcend across the ANZAC claimancy?

Thanks.

That is strictly an Aussie song though it is well known in NZ.

Thanks.

It's an Aussie thang. At one staged mooted as the national anthem. :uhh: But really just a folk song about a guy who steals a sheep.But I'm sure the swagman was just helping it over the fence, honest!

LEST WE FORGET.

I always thought Waltzing Matilda was about a guy boiling water. Zzzz shit boring song if you ask me.

Im eating Aussie lamb drenched in mint sauce, watching 'Gallipoli' and drinking a good American IPA.

:)

Im eating Aussie lamb drenched in mint sauce, watching 'Gallipoli' and drinking a good American IPA.

:)

Check carefully for a scene in a dugout. There is an ENO's bottle used as a prop. Peter Weir went to the G some years ago, before the Dawn Service really took off. He found the ENO bottle on his trip, half buried.

Had to work today, but still got to the Dawn Service. Better than nothing.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

I love it so so many civis, mainly young people make the pilgrimage to ANZAC cove in Turkey each year for this sacred day, makes me proud.
I was there in 2001, the ceremony now is significantly bigger and more organised (TV screens etc...) than when I was there and it was very crowed then.
My goal is to return after ANZAC day and camp there for a few nights, in or beside ANZAC trenches.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feKy9pth7hg&feature=related"]YouTube - Last Post, Gallipoli 2007[/ame]

A personal favourite...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY_ezjs0vkI"]YouTube - Anzac Day Tribute - Amazing Grace & The Last Post[/ame]

This is mainly British but so were we back then, and ANZAC day isn't complete without Abide With Me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njK5K_Vk5ys&feature=related"]YouTube - Lest We Forget / Abide with me[/ame]

Back