Application to 160th from AIT

Thank you for the quick response Border,

To be honest, it doesn't seem likely for me to be able to get an airborne option anytime in the future unless I change my MOS. Most likely, I will enlist and do my best to make things happen. If they don't, I'll work with what I have.

Thank you.
You'll be sorry.

Most likely, I will enlist and do my best to make things happen. If they don't, I'll work with what I have.

Don't be surprised if you are in a job you don't like, in a place you don't like. In this day and age there are too many good options, don't settle or you will hate life.

Get to the 82nd, or the 75th. Get your SOCM. Do not try to color outside the lines to make yourself 'more impressive'. Civilian creds will come to you through military programs, but the military applications of TCCC are so far astray from the civilian applications that all you could be doing is having to unlearn and relearn stuff. Learn to be a soldier, learn humility, learn to be a sponge, be flexible, quit tooting your own horn. right now, you know nothing about nothing when it comes to the military, you haven't done it yet. Kudos on having long range goals, now set your sights on a clean enlistment, Basic/AIT, BAC, and your first unit... realize the 160th is multiple iterations of life away from where you are, currently it's the windmills Quixote.

Right now your cart is in Kansas and the horse is in Florida... your goal is California... get to the cart, fill it and then head for your goal.
Can one go through SOCM without being selected for Special Operations?

Agree with all. Develop your craft, challenge yourself, be humble, work towards your goal through your demonstrated professionalism and desire to be more. Success will come once you earn it.

Is it common for those slots to open up in Non-SOF units?

If you want to attend a SOF course, go to a SOF unit. If not...pay your money and take your chances. Odds vary from day to day, but not if you're in the right units.

I was asking because x SF med mentioned going to the 75th or 82nd to get SOCM. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 82nd is not SOF. Was just curious.

I was never assigned to the 82nd so I don't know. I would assume they do, but only for Soldiers who are truly exceptional.

A lot of times, getting into a highly-sought school comes down to two things: lucky timing, and being ready. As an intel guy in an aviation unit, I got a Pathfinder slot because 1) I was available; 2) my physical was up to date; 3) I am (was?) marginally intelligent and acceptably fit; and 4) the chain of command didn't hate me.

Go to your unit, prove yourself, let your wishes be known (in that order), and see what the fates have in store...

Do they send guys to SOCM?

Here is my Non-SOF perspective. Do you know who the Army sends to SOCM? They send Soldiers who have passed AIT and earned the 68W MOS.

Focus on getting to Basic Combat Training. Next, focus on crushing the standards there. Once you’ve earned the right to call yourself a Soldier, then you can worry about getting through AIT at Ft. Sam Houston. Once that’s done and you get orders to your unit the real learning (and proving yourself) begins.

You know, a characteristic of successful medics is their drive for continual learning. We seek out knowledge ourselves; we read and read some more. We don’t ask to be spoon fed.

Focus on your 5m and 25m targets. Do your own research. Work hard, study hard, and earn the privilege of holding people’s lives in your hand before you focus on ‘special’ schools.

Good luck in your enlistment.

Back