Army: 6 New Security Force Assistance Brigades

If this is true, and mother army feels like everybody should get a trophy, why not just establish a challenging course to earn a qualification badge? Like airborne, air assault, etc. It still puts you in a cool guy club and makes more sense than a beret and tab. Make it good training that shows you met the standard to be a combat advisor.

Last edited:
I’m sure this would have been received very differently if this new unit was created without new headgear.
Prior to the headgear debacle, I had been seriously looking at the NG SFAB that is being stood up. I like the mission set and increased deployability and I am to old for real selections and "cool guy" schools. Now? Not so much.

After doing more research, this is going to be a fuckn disaster, sooner than later. train FN, and be able to siphon off to fill leader positions in the RA and NG when needed... a friggin panacea for leadership globally and locally... this is not going to begin or end well at all.

I give it 6 months to the first international incident from these clowns, and possibly another front opening up for the US.

Pretty quick response...going with a brown beret now and no "Legion" name.

"In accordance with Army guidance, we will select a new unit name. The Army has also decided the SFABs will wear a Brown Infantry Beret like those worn by many armies. Our new name and photos of the beret will be published once the final decisions are approved."

Forces Focus - Soldier Systems Daily

"In accordance with Army guidance, we will select a new unit name. The Army has also decided the SFABs will wear a Brown Infantry Beret like those worn by many armies. Our new name and photos of the beret will be published once the final decisions are approved."

That must have been one serious shit-storm that happened within Big Army.

Those of you with a dog in this fight, satisfied, or still not good enough?

Found it interesting that in the Army times interview with GEN Milley he stated;

“Special Forces does not train the Afghan National Army. They don’t train them now. They never have. Same thing in Iraq,” he added. “There’s a reason for that. One, that’s way beyond the capacity of Special Forces. It’s also beyond the skill set.”

In 2002 3rd SFG (A) was training the first ANA.....

Army chief dispels rumors, misconceptions about SFAB berets, tabs

Last edited:
Found it interesting that in the Army times interview with GEN Milley he stated;

“Special Forces does not train the Afghan National Army. They don’t train them now. They never have. Same thing in Iraq,” he added. “There’s a reason for that. One, that’s way beyond the capacity of Special Forces. It’s also beyond the skill set.”

In 2002 3rd SFG (A) was training the first ANA.....

Army chief dispels rumors, misconceptions about SFAB berets, tabs
GEN MILLEY IS FAKE NEWS...someone did not do the staff work.

He’s not wrong though. It’s great that the SF trained some ANA in 2002 but conventional forces cobbled together training teams to train the ANA and IA for the other 15 years (and counting) while SOCOM focused on creating indigenous raid forces. This unit makes a lot of sense given the past two years of GWOT. Future wars will almost certainly require our conventional forces to train partner forces. We should create units to do that for us so we don’t have to Frankenstein units together like we’ve done for 16 plus years. That’s what the SFAB does.

I’ll add a caveat here before I get dogpiled for my last comment. I spent over a decade of my life putting evil men to the sword. We did raid after raid to decapitate AQ/TB leadership. We were extremely effective tactically but 15 years later I don’t know how much that really mattered strategically. I want my kids to inherit my GI Bill not the GWOT.

Good. For once it sounds like Internet Outrage did some good in the world.

Back