Army: 6 New Security Force Assistance Brigades

Why would the Army care about the Air Force beret choices?

Well, hell, I don't know. A beret used to be a coveted thing, right? The fuckin GREEN BERETS. @x SF med , (my punctuation and spelling teacher) and my bro @Viper1 and other HS dudes on SS...How would Special Forces dudes feel if, say, the Marine Admin Clerks adopted a Green Beret...only maybe a slightly different shade of green? How would Rangers feel if Navy SEALs adopted a tan beret? How the fuck would my bro @Muppet feel if Cav Scouts got a maroon beret?

Fuck, man. Let's get this beret shit fucking ironed out.

Last edited:
Well, hell, I don't know. A beret used to be a coveted thing, right? The fuckin GREEN BERETS. @x SF med , (my punctuation and spelling teacher) and my bro @Viper1 and other HS dudes on SS...How would Special Forces dudes feel if, say, the Marine Admin Clerks adopted a Green Beret...only maybe a slightly different shade of green? How would Rangers feel if Navy SEALs adopted a tan beret? How the fuck would my bro @Muppet feel if Cav Scouts got a maroon beret?

Better yet, a maroon cowboy hat.

This is more of an internal fight than anything that happens in the country club. SF has a true gripe, Air Force, separate service, move on.

This is more of an internal fight than anything that happens in the country club. SF has a true gripe, Air Force, separate service, move on.

Yeah, I get it. I just think the whole beret thing has gone a bit over the top, no pun intended. You either pack the gear or you don't.

It's not the headgear, it's the job.
Let the SFAB's try to do the job with which they've been tasked. I don't think it's going to go well; SF has the selection process in place to choose the right guys, and weed out the wrong guys for the job; the SFABs are going to do a 3 year tasker, then head back to wherever they came from. In SF, that's called RFS, in an SFAB it'll be a completion award.

I mean, the Rangers used to have a black beret, until the entire rest of the Army adopted it.

Whenever I showed up as being attached to a unit- that day bumped June 14th, 2001, the day the black beret went Army wide- to the second worst day of the every man's Army career. I forget a lot of dates, but I know June 14, 2001. 😂

Very true, but if State doesn't RSVP to the party in kind it won't matter what the Army does or doesn't do.
It's like deja vu all over again for the fourth time. There have been whole years that have gone by where places like Arghandab and Marjah are completely quiet, but government doesn't capitalize on the window of opportunity created by the military.

Did US Tankers ever wear the black beret?
Yes, when local commanders were first given the authority, Donn Starry authorized wear at the Armor Center in '73. It was a big Donn Starry thing too. What can I say, Armor guys can be interesting but a beret in a tank makes a lot more sense than a ball cap or PC.

I think so. U.S. Military Beret History

I could not quite remember being so busy with highschool and all:ROFLMAO::p8-)

Interesting snippet of history there!
I'm sure it's been mentioned in the past on SS, but the tan beret was first used in US service during the Vietnam war, by members of the US Army Tracking Team, out of respect for their New Zealand SAS instructors who trained the initial teams in Malaysia (and may or may not have accompanied them on operations unofficially in VN).
So you see, the Rangers stole a beret too! }:-)

Last edited:
Back