Army Agrees To M4 Sand Test Shoot-Off

04cggseal1lgna0kp8.jpg

(RIP)

eh.. good read. BUT..... statically, right now in Iraq, snipers have had more success on SKTs with the M4 than any other weapon.. The SAW was used just a few weeks back to waste two dudes planting an ied in or AO. Not a 240.. but a SAW.. Granted, 556 doesnt have the knock down power and if you hit a dude, you might not kill him right away and he has a better chance of living, but the numbers speak for themselves and most engagements are happening across the street. So in a very dense urban enviroment, such as Baghdad, 556 has worked great. And yes, we will tote around a 14. Only if we have a long stretch of road to watch over will we take the 24 out and very very rarely will you ever see a 107.

so, if its not broke, why fix it?

Back to 7.62?..

Nope I'm not advocating the 7.62x51mm returning for general use, though I think one per squad has merit.

We need a round between the two calibers IMO, the 6.5/6.8mm, that type of thing.

The Brits developed a 7mm IIRC after WW2 that was deemed to be the ideal intermediate round, though some upstart colonial country ;) stopped it being introduced as the NATO standard by introducing their own larger round
only to abandon it as their standard service round less than 10 years later infavour of the 5.56x45mm.

so, if its not broke, why fix it?

Simply because we can do better.

I like using the 5.56, its a very easily controlled round, but it is lacking in certain areas, range, knockdown power, penetration for example, its not a bad round at all (I personally think it is a great round for jungle warfare) but it can be improved on.

Bullet compisition would be better changed than changing the caliber. 5.56 works well enough, and allows for a soldier load that is ok.

I need to find an AR upper that supports 454 casull...

I need to find an AR upper that supports 454 casull...

Ive seen an upper that uses something like that, I'll look when I get home.

Our new toy is the EBR, enhanced battle rifle. Just another mod of the M14. We were hitting man size targets at 800m in "the Ghan" with a 10x Leopold scope. Mmmmm, good stuff.

Nice cammo! :doh: lol

Apart from that looks like a cool rifle.

Yeah, we're waiting for our digital blue tigerstripe camo. It should look good underwater. But it has a pocket for a Blackberry. Built around the USAF SOF operator. GARBAGE!

7.62, 20 round magazine, selectable semi or fully auto. I'm not really sure why we have it (PJs), but it's fun to shoot

Well, we used 77 grain in A-Stan and the bullets would move....
I think that you can still improve on the ballistics of the 5.56mm round and that is the key instead of replacing the actual weapon.

how about a 416 in 6.8?

Can I dream? If so, mine is as follows... A HK 416 in 6.8spc. :uhh:

Shot the .50 beowulf at English range on benning... guy had one and let me put a mag thru it. Definately known thumper, but it's limited in terms of utility... I would rather have a 12g, cheaper, larger rounds, more versatility.

Cool gun, but not something I would drop the coin on.

Stupid question, but why not buy new SAW's? Seems to be a good weapon when they aren't 25 years old and shot out...

Incidentally, a more reliable rifle that requires less cleaning and uses our current stock of 5.56mm ammunition, sounds good to me.

Back