Army Close to Finalizing Pinks and Greens Uniform for All Soldiers

Every time we change a uniform it costs millions, if not billions, of dollars. Our country is broke, the Army is scaling back benefits, we even had to restructure the entire retirement system. Yet there is plenty of money for uniform changes. Didn't Congress tell all of the services to knock that shit off a few years back? Yet here we are again.

On top of the needless expenditure, don't the SMA and CSA have more important things to be doing with their time? Uniform changes are one of the least important things we need to be worrying about right now. We're in three ground wars right now (four, if you count Africa) and might be in another one in Korea if we're not careful. And the Army continues to struggle with recruiting. We need to focus more on who we're putting into our current uniforms, not what they might look like in new ones.

"Uh-oh Chief, people are starting to ask questions about our f'd up personnel system again."

"Well, Sergeant Major, you know what to do..."

Well said. While I think the change is a positive one, I don't think it (or really the majority of the changes in the last 15 or so years) are needed, and they're not without substantial cost.

Every time we change a uniform it costs millions, if not billions, of dollars. Our country is broke, the Army is scaling back benefits, we even had to restructure the entire retirement system. Yet there is plenty of money for uniform changes. Didn't Congress tell all of the services to knock that shit off a few years back? Yet here we are again.

On top of the needless expenditure, don't the SMA and CSA have more important things to be doing with their time? Uniform changes are one of the least important things we need to be worrying about right now. We're in three ground wars right now (four, if you count Africa) and might be in another one in Korea if we're not careful. And the Army continues to struggle with recruiting. We need to focus more on who we're putting into our current uniforms, not what they might look like in new ones.

"Uh-oh Chief, people are starting to ask questions about our f'd up personnel system again."

SMA's gonna SMA...uniforms seem to be what they enjoy fucking with.

If I was still in I'd wonder if we were going to go with the same tailoring the Corps uses, because their uniforms fit perfect. However, their shade of Olive has't changed much over the years and I'd say it would have been an easy adoption to just take their Service Uniform and remove the EGA and put branch symbols rather than fuck with this.

Pinks and Greens was only on part of that uniform suite, you had green pants, green shirt, then even a khaki jacket...but they're going to select one part that makes this not versatile. In my last two jobs I probably could have worn a service uniform every day, but that was not the prescribed uniform. So what's the point?

Last edited:

It almost needs a FWA tag. Add to that mix USAFs apparently silent move from UCP to OCP ABU patterns, not to mention all the chatter about a straight up move from ABUs to ACUs. If they're going to make a change, at least it's towards consolidation but still...ABUs are what, maybe 10 years old?

Schwimmer is actually a better actor than he gets credit for. Wife and I are huge fans of Friends, but it did not take long to forget i was watching Ross dressed as a soldier.

Not really a fan of Schwimmer but I honestly thought he did a good job in Band of Brothers. We all know leaders like his character and he played it well.

I agree. He pulled that role off masterfully.

In the book one of the things I remember the E Co veterans talking about is they believe they never would have been such a good company if it weren't for their shithead Company Commander and 1SG - but they never would have survived combat with them still in command.

I thought it opened an interesting line of thought about how tough you should make initial training - and how it should differentiate from you actual unit. I think it's what we try to do with basic/AIT vs units but there are some trade-offs from having a cohort unit from day 1. It made me think a lot about what styles of leadership are most appropriate at each level - and at what you're trying to accomplish.

I thought in some ways the mini-series and Schwimmer's performance treated that CPT and his motivations with more nuance than the book - and it was great.

Back