Army Field Manual Readings Before Basic

TDub

Unverified
Hello all,

I introduced myself a few weeks ago having said I received my 18x contract, and I am putting together a field manual reading list before shipping out. Without getting into the laundry list of 60+ manuals I would like to get read, I have what I believe to be the core few to get through first. Those being the manuals. Not in order of reading but in order from the list.

Are there any other absolute must reads that I don't have on the list that one might recommend for SFAS? I would be happy to go into more detail about what else I have on the list. I didn't want to flood the first post with a list of all of them however.

Thanks all,

FM 31-19
Military Free-Fall Parachuting Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures

FM 31-20
Doctrine for Special Forces Operations

FM 31-20-5
Special Reconnaissance Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures for Special Forces

FM 34-36
Special Operations Forces Intelligence and Electronic Warfare Operations

This is ridiculous. Enjoy your time before Basic, stay out of trouble, and keep up on PT. Reading field manuals has nothing to do with anything for someone who isn't even in the military yet.

To add -

I would hope/expect that your recruiter gave you homework to memorize before Basic?

I don't know about the Army, but I have to imagine it would be to your benefit to have down cold your General Orders (I think you guys only have 3, we had to know 11 in The Corps), your officer and enlisted ranks, and The Soldier's Creed.

To add -

I would hope/expect that your recruiter gave you homework to memorize before Basic?

I don't know about the Army, but I have to imagine it would be to your benefit to have down cold your General Orders (I think you guys only have 3, we had to know 11 in The Corps), your officer and enlisted ranks, and The Soldier's Creed.
Absolutely, there is a whole system now, I am not sure of the age of it called the Future Soldier Training System which has a number of courses both required and optional to go through. It covers all of those that you stated and some others, basic land nav, basic first aid, etc.

Having completed them, I am still looking for more ways to get familiar with the ongoings and doings of the military, coming from a family with no prior service, I am completely new to the world. So anything I can get ahold of to read and or watch or have conversations with people is hugely helpful for me. I am alright with fumbling my way through the dark trying to pick and choose which bits and pieces I think may or may not be more beneficial for my success. Luckily for now, I still have all my fingers and toes for typing up some questions.

I appreciate the response.

I think the blue Amazon paperback copy I just ordered doesn't look quite as cool.
The lessons in it are just as good. The characters are fairly one dimensional but it’s pretty easy to see which kind of soldier you want to be like. Spoiler alert, it’s not the West Point alumni.

Goodbye Darkness is excellent as well. Those three are my favorites. Matterhorn is probably number 4. Pete Blabers the mission, the men, and me is also pretty good.

Reading Army manuals pre-Basic sounds like a great idea, but it is horrible. Don't go down that path; one day you'll understand why.

Know the stuff your recruiter gave you cold.
PT your ass off and exceed standard.
I believe map and compass is still an SF requirement, so join an orienteering group and get comfortable in the woods.

I would've gone insane at Basic had I read FMs before Basic. You'll have enough to contend with, don't compound it. Hang out with friends and family, and keep up the PT.

ETA: I'm referring to your early time in the military, nothing in regards to SOF or after initial entry.

Back