Army Moves Toward Kinder Basic Training Start

Well, people have come to expect the shark attack before they ship. So, perhaps their is a better, or at least substitute method to quickly weed out the sick, lame and lazy. If it works I’m for it. But, I fear it’s like the whole ‘can’t smoke privates‘ initiative that doesn’t allow for more than 20 minutes or corrective Pat and no more than 10 reps per exercise. Where I do understand the value of recovery, it’s the lack of mental perseverance gained from shares and individual hardship that is perhaps lost.

Well, people have come to expect the shark attack before they ship. So, perhaps their is a better, or at least substitute method to quickly weed out the sick, lame and lazy. If it works I’m for it. But, I fear it’s like the whole ‘can’t smoke privates‘ initiative that doesn’t allow for more than 20 minutes or corrective Pat and no more than 10 reps per exercise. Where I do understand the value of recovery, it’s the lack of mental perseverance gained from shares and individual hardship that is perhaps lost.
I was still active when that whole thing happened(which they since gotten rid of recently.)

The intent was that for minor things you'd smoke a soldier for (being late, missing an inspectable item) you'd instead do the limited physical punishment, then actual corrective training to correct the issue.

IE check in with me at staff duty at 0700, 1200, and 1700 on your weekend, or you will carry this 5# Rock named "Blue" for the next week because you forgot your Blue Book.

Issues with the transition came about because, quite frankly, a lot of NCOs couldn't lead a puppy to bowl of food. They knew nothing other than "scream and smoke you until you fix it" which doesn't do anything for most soldiers other than make them resent their leadership.

Trust me, most kids would get their shit straight better doing one of those "none-smoking" tasks that took up their time than they would getting dropped for a hour.

Back