Army OKs women as spec ops aviators

Free, it is. On Bizarro world.

Different birds have different physical requirements to fly them. 47s are physically "easier" to "fly" than 6s, for a number of reasons. If the leadership is serious about maintaining one standard, and I believe John Evans when he says that, then I'd wager that MH47s will be the first to have a female. Little Birds, last.

"Admit that the waters around you have grown, and accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone."

Hot-soldiers.jpg

Please let'em be hot, please let'em be hot, please let'em be hot....:bow:

This makes too much sense...as long as they are serious about keeping the very high standards of the 160th. My only concern would be that they shove some females through just to say they have some female pilots, but as long as that doesn't happen I'm all for this.

By Joe Gould - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Jan 11, 2013 12:14:48 EST

Women have been cleared for Army special operations.
The Army is recruiting women to become pilots and crew chiefs for the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment for the first time as part of its ongoing effort to expand roles for women in the service.
The move by the 160th is the result of an appeal by Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno to expand combat roles for women.
“We are looking for women to serve in the cockpit, we’ll start with a pilot [trial] program, and assuming there’s no significant issues, we’ll integrate women,” said Brig. Gen. Clayton Hutmacher, the commander of Army Special Operations Aviation Command. “We plan on going out and actively recruiting women. We’re fully supportive of this initiative.”
Women would serve as pilots of 160th aircraft and non-rated women would serve as crew chiefs in the backs of those aircraft, said Col. John Evans, the regimental commander.
Conventional aviation units are typically employed downrange frequently over longer periods, while special operations aviation units are often deployed heavily over shorter periods and in more austere conditions, with less support. Much of what the 160th does are dangerous and highly classified missions in support of special operations forces.
Women already serve as aviators and on air crews within conventional units in the aviation branch. Since the early 1990s, women have served in cavalry and attack missions that were closed to them up until that point, Evans said. Though Evans would not discuss specifics, he said women are already “doing lots of operational things in SOF.”
“This will certainly be one of the first forays for Army Special Operations Command, putting them in this type of role,” Evans said.
Hutmacher emphasized that there will be one standard for both men and women as the assessment and selection process becomes gender-agnostic.
Evans said he has informed his troops.
“As we bring these very talented female candidates into the 160th, they will understand up front that there is but one standard, and they’re going to have to meet that to be a part of the organization,” Evans said. “As I’ve talked to senior female officers in the Army, they say they would expect no less. They don’t want special consideration.”
Candidates must complete an application packet, kicking off a process that takes several months. The expectation is that by summer the 160th will assess its first female candidates.
Both Evans and Hutmacher said women will be recruited first in limited numbers and that they expect them to be fully integrated into the formation after the pilot program.
Odierno had issued broad guidance for leaders to examine which roles could be opened to women, and the question of female special operations aviators filtered down from Army Special Operations Command to Army Special Operations Aviation Command and the 160th itself.
“We’ve had them in Apaches and OH-58Ds for twenty years now. What is it about the 160th mission set you believe is unsuitable for them, and our answer is ‘Well, there’s nothing,’ “ Evans said.
Hutmacher described Army senior leaders as “very supportive” of the move. He said it was inevitable and that he was “very excited” by it.
The move is expected to aid pilot shortages, increasing the pool of available candidates, Hutmacher said.
Both Hutmacher and Evans said they have not heard any signs of displeasure from the ranks in reaction. Hutmacher said he assembled warrant officers and commanders to prepare them for the move.
“I haven’t gotten any push-back,” Hutmacher said. “If you think about it, we have already integrated gays into the military, and that, I don’t see it as a problem. We represent the values of the American people.”
“Militaries go through evolutions,” Evans said. “We have homosexuals serving in the military and there was a lot of consternation about that, it’s come to pass, and lo and behold we’ve seen little impact.”
This is a big step!!! I remember when females were not allowed to work in Battalion level positions.

Attachments

• mh6c03fk3.jpg
    mh6c03fk3.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 12
Women have been cleared for Army special operations.

Ummm, women have been "cleared for SOF" for a looong time there, Joe. The 160th has had women for a long time. The 160th has not had women pilots, that's should the lead line.

Now I'm starting to second-guess myself. When I made my first post in this thread, I was sure we had female Soldiers in my battalion (2/160). But now I can't think of a single one. Maybe I'm confusing it with Group or JSOC.

LogCinco, did we have female officers or troops in our battalion?

Now I'm starting to second-guess myself. When I made my first post in this thread, I was sure we had female Soldiers in my battalion (2/160). But now I can't think of a single one. Maybe I'm confusing it with Group or JSOC.

LogCinco, did we have female officers or troops in our battalion?
When I was at 1st and 4th, it was a NoGo for females. But most of us staff guys were considered females anyways so thank you......

Wait- I know we had females at least at the Regimental level, one of the Regiment A/S2s was female. If I think about it hard enough (or just ask my wife) I can probably remember her name. Lauren something, maybe. Very good at her job. Still don't remember if we had them down at the Bn level.

Wait- I know we had females at least at the Regimental level, one of the Regiment A/S2s was female. If I think about it hard enough (or just ask my wife) I can probably remember her name. Lauren something, maybe. Very good at her job. Still don't remember if we had them down at the Bn level.
Roger that Regiment level positions, we also had a few good females working at TDSC.
Dont get confused with the Battalion Commander secretaries.

Roger that Regiment level positions, we also had a few good females working at TDSC.
Dont get confused with the Battalion Commander secretaries.
I definitely remember Lauren, if for no other reason than that she ended up going off to JSOC, if memory serves...

Back