Army to Cut LRSC/ LRSD Units

AWP

SOF Support
I understand the argument but think it is stupid. Losing the entire capability? Don't even keep the AD units? I guess that's one way to do it. I find it ironic that LRS is probably going away based upon their lack of use in the GWOT, but Cav Scouts are alive and well. I honestly would not doubt if this was more about politics and some bias than usage/ capabilities.

Army looks to deactivate Long-Range Surveillance companies

SAN ANTONIO — The Army is moving to cut all nine of its Long-Range Surveillance companies from active duty and the National Guard this year as part of a plan to restructure its force, Army officials told Stars and Stripes.

The Pentagon will finalize a decision to deactivate three active-duty and six National Guard Long-Range Surveillance companies in the next 60 days.

I understand the argument but think it is stupid. Losing the entire capability? Don't even keep the AD units? I guess that's one way to do it. I find it ironic that LRS is probably going away based upon their lack of use in the GWOT, but Cav Scouts are alive and well. I honestly would not doubt if this was more about politics and some bias than usage/ capabilities.

Army looks to deactivate Long-Range Surveillance companies
Your mention of Cav Scouts made me spit my drink out, intentional funny or not.

No worries, SF can do the mission. Until they become overly engaged in all there other missions and don't have the time or resources to focus on that mission and the Army tries to rebuild the capability from scratch......again. And then are shocked that you can't make really effective small teams from scratch quickly.....again.
Reed

Well, like the article said, at least RRD is around. From what I understand, those dudes are just sitting around wishing they had work these days.

Good luck getting a USASOC/ JSOC entity to support a conventional mission. It does and has happened, but figure the odds.

If the Army ever has to fight in the jungle again, or in the mountains those LRS units will be sorely missed.

Last edited:
Can you imagine, for an example, being a TXARNG guy who finally makes it to a LRSD unit on jump status, gets there and told this information.......:wall:

Well, like the article said, at least RRD is around. From what I understand, those dudes are just sitting around wishing they had work these days.

Apart from anything else, the highlighted words make this a stupid proposition.

I cannot see a scenario where an ODA would fall under a conventional Corps or Brigade and provide them with reconnaissance during major combat operations. Getting rid of LRS is a bad idea. It is true that there isn't a lot of call for long range reconnaissance nowadays. The same can be said about tank battalions. Should we scrap them too?

Can you imagine, for an example, being a TXARNG guy who finally makes it to a LRSD unit on jump status, gets there and told this information.......:wall:
Well TX ARNG is transitioning from a ID to a Sustainment Command...saw it with my own eyes. The Army really liked to wreck our guard brethren of capabilities.

This is stupid...yes we Cav will have to do it...oh wait...LRS is a specialty honed over years of being together in the bush. Regular Cav units have way too much baggage to get that proficient, it sucks. Unless that unit is lucky to get ten guys RSLC qualified who are then given a ton of time to train their Soldiers on the techniques and tactics. It can be done, but when I was in an IBCT the only guy who had attended RSLC was a fellow LT and he was at Knox while the unit was deployed. In an ABCT...my unit had no ARC or RSLC qualified soldiers in the entire SQDN. A few officers were, but that doesn't help much when it comes to training. You have to have institutional knowledge, and we're about to have zero.

The same can be said about tank battalions. Should we scrap them too?

The difference is that Congresspeople don't make money off of kickbacks from having LRS in their states. Tanks that people have to manufacture however......

The new narrative is basically, "recon as we once knew it is dead."

We have them satellite things that spin around 3 or 4 times a day, and some that just float in one spot, and those little planes with the miniature pilots and stuff.

Back