ARSOF Recruiting MI Briefs

So radio recon Marines is intel writ large? That's good to know, I thought they were only SIGINTers.

They're SIGINT.

The SOT-A course has run 3 classes thus far I believe.

A few more were scheduled for after Feb. but I have heard RUMINT that it was stopped...Lindy?

Their program... get infil/exfil via any method whereas we're pretty much ruck, truck, or oh ffffffffuuuuuuudddddgggggeeeeee.

SOT-As no more need MFF or CDQC than a light wheeled mechanic or armorer in Group needs ABN. The same holds true for the Marines who do the same job, IMHO.

However if you hang around the right ODAs you may pickup a slot or two to HAVEACE . lol

One of the byproducts of the creation of the 18 series MOS was that SOT-As became support guys. Part of their mission set requires the ability to infil into denied areas on their own and operate independently. The slot is still Victor coded, but that has become more or less irrelevant.

You won't find a ton of info about SIGINT in the Vietnam era because the fact there was even a SIGINT MOS was classified at the time. There are some veteran websites out there. The predecessors to SOT-A were Green Berets. There were SIGINT guys with MACV/SOG, doing typical SF tasks for the time like training and combat advising indig forces in addition to their SIGINT duties. Most of these guys had been through SF qualification, and those that weren't were expected to go.

Somewhere along the way, someone decided there didn't need to be intense screening of SIGINT personnel assigned to Group. Even without a selection process, it is still rare to see SOT-As manned at greater than 60%, which I'd theorize is part of why there isn't a selection process. There are a few SOT-As running around that, from being in other organizations, have more "SOF" training and experience than most SF guys, but returned to Group for various reasons i.e. burnout. The optempo in SF is pretty crazy, but there are other places where it's busier. The perception an average SF dude that doesn't know the guy personally would have of these guys is not positive, and that in itself is not a good thing. Something really needs to be done about SF support, especially MI, but we've already beaten that horse to death..

http://www.mikeforcehistory.org/timeline/date.asp?date=8/23/1968

The ASA (Army Security Agency) also had it's own seperate training facilities. Something I've been hoping would come to fruition with SOT-A or atleast see a specific school tailored to meet it's needs....Goodbuddy doesn't cut it. I had hoped the new school (SOFSIET) would be it, but I'm unsure of it's future.

The SOD's were ASA's Special Operations Detachment ( SOT-A predecessors) which as Moobob pointed out were often attached to MACV/SOG and Special Forces.

A good read about them is Top Secret Missions by John E. Malone.

SOT-As no more need MFF or CDQC than a light wheeled mechanic or armorer in Group needs ABN. The same holds true for the Marines who do the same job, IMHO.

However if you hang around the right ODAs you may pickup a slot or two to HAVEACE . lol

I strongly disagree brother. To be blunt, MFF is just a way to get to work (yes, there is more to it than just Newton's discovery).

Back