Aspiring SOT-A introduction

aspiring_polyglot

Unverified
Greetings all,

I want to thank everyone up front for your many years of service and willingness to mentor/provide information to us young folks and outsiders. We really appreciate your patience with us, even if we get a little ahead of ourselves sometimes and tend to write before we read.

By way of personal intro, I am a graduating college senior with an academic background in regional studies and foreign language. I spent a year overseas on a DoD scholarship and am committed to a career in national security. I am passionate about all things intelligence and enjoy travel, so I am hoping to one day step into that "send me" role of providing ground truth to the policymaker back home. I have a tentative one year job offer as a civilian, but plan on enlisting at the conclusion of that, so I am doing some long-ish term planning.

Now for my goals: My admiration for SOF and interest in going the SOT-A route in the National Guard brought me to this forum, where I've read almost every thread on the 35 series and the role of enablers. Side note: special thanks to Marauder 06 for posting his thesis draft, as it's a fantastic resource. I will be DC based and had a recruiter tell me that 20th SFG in Maryland would be my best bet, but have broadly not been able to find a reliable POC for this.

I am hoping to enlist as a 35N (I would be coming in with several languages at the 2+ or 3 level and my sense is that the November route will allow me to lean into the technical/analytic side of things while still filling the SOT-A role), do the "guard bum" (sorry, I have seen this used before and lack a better term) for a while (deployments, JCETs, schools, etc...), and later maintain a USG civilian job. If there's a need and a place for me, I believe this route will allow me to best contribute to the natsec mission.

From there, I just want to excel in support of my Guard unit and see where my career takes me. That's all I'll say for now as I don't want to get too far ahead of my 25m target, especially with all the uncertainty surrounding COVID.

I write this with all humility and know there's a long way to go - even to get a contract. That said, I really wanted to introduce myself on here as I may have some niche questions cropping up soon. Most of all, I would welcome any and all feedback or advice from the SOT-A cohort on this site. Please let me know if this route seems feasible.

Thanks again and all the best,

AP

Greetings all,

I want to thank everyone up front for your many years of service and willingness to mentor/provide information to us young folks and outsiders. We really appreciate your patience with us, even if we get a little ahead of ourselves sometimes and tend to write before we read.

By way of personal intro, I am a graduating college senior with an academic background in regional studies and foreign language. I spent a year overseas on a DoD scholarship and am committed to a career in national security. I am passionate about all things intelligence and enjoy travel, so I am hoping to one day step into that "send me" role of providing ground truth to the policymaker back home. I have a tentative one year job offer as a civilian, but plan on enlisting at the conclusion of that, so I am doing some long-ish term planning.

Now for my goals: My admiration for SOF and interest in going the SOT-A route in the National Guard brought me to this forum, where I've read almost every thread on the 35 series and the role of enablers. Side note: special thanks to Marauder 06 for posting his thesis draft, as it's a fantastic resource. I will be DC based and had a recruiter tell me that 20th SFG in Maryland would be my best bet, but have broadly not been able to find a reliable POC for this.

I am hoping to enlist as a 35N (I would be coming in with several languages at the 2+ or 3 level and my sense is that the November route will allow me to lean into the technical/analytic side of things while still filling the SOT-A role), do the "guard bum" (sorry, I have seen this used before and lack a better term) for a while (deployments, JCETs, schools, etc...), and later maintain a USG civilian job. If there's a need and a place for me, I believe this route will allow me to best contribute to the natsec mission.

From there, I just want to excel in support of my Guard unit and see where my career takes me. That's all I'll say for now as I don't want to get too far ahead of my 25m target, especially with all the uncertainty surrounding COVID.

I write this with all humility and know there's a long way to go - even to get a contract. That said, I really wanted to introduce myself on here as I may have some niche questions cropping up soon. Most of all, I would welcome any and all feedback or advice from the SOT-A cohort on this site. Please let me know if this route seems feasible.

Thanks again and all the best,

AP

This is one of the best intro posts I've read in a long time.

Back