ATF files cease and desist letter with the maker of Honey Badger.

hate not for you JD....damn...I have two that have braces...I will be watching this...guess I will have to look at SBR'ing them.
The downside to just filing the paperwork and making them SBRs (besides the cost and the list), is that once you make them an SBR, they can never not be an SBR. Also, you have to file paperwork asking permission for every state line you cross. And god forbid something happens to you, and your family that would normally inherit your pistol isn’t on the trust and now loses out on your collection.

Agree...I hate having to SBR them, but if things change I’ll add them to my trust, hoping it doesn’t go that route. Hate the travel restrictions with SBR and SBS NFA items, glad silencers don’t have the travel issues.

The downside to just filing the paperwork and making them SBRs (besides the cost and the list), is that once you make them an SBR, they can never not be an SBR. Also, you have to file paperwork asking permission for every state line you cross. And god forbid something happens to you, and your family that would normally inherit your pistol isn’t on the trust and now loses out on your collection.
I may be more "left wing" when it comes to gun laws, but even I think that's stupid.

I want 2A laws to be a federal thing since I believe all 2A laws should be constitutionally mandated. If I file paperwork to have a SBR (even though the current definition is stupid) with the ATF, it should be valid everywhere.

ETA: I want to see something solid like "a SBR is any firearm in which a barrel is more than 12 inches but less than 26" as an example.

Last edited:
I may be more "left wing" when it comes to gun laws, but even I think that's stupid.

I want 2A laws to be a federal thing since I believe all 2A laws should be constitutionally mandated. If I file paperwork to have a SBR (even though the current definition is stupid) with the ATF, it should be valid everywhere.

ETA: I want to see something solid like "a SBR is any firearm in which a barrel is more than 12 inches but less than 26" as an example.
Well said.

My normal response to people who say "we just want common sense gun laws" is that the first common sense law needs to be "my guns, and permits, are recognized by every state, just like my marriage license and driver's license."

Agreed, they should be nationally recognized.

One issue with your blanket example of over 12” but under 26” is it doesn’t fit every mold. The Colt Bluntline for example would be considered an SBR.
1606490748839.jpeg

Agreed, they should be nationally recognized.

One issue with your blanket example of over 12” but under 26” is it doesn’t fit every mold. The Colt Bluntline for example would be considered an SBR.
View attachment 37173

It was more of an example of how I would like the wording to be clear and definitive, rather than me attempting to fully define what a SBR should be. I imagine a full legal definition would not only need to mention barrel length, but also overall length and buttstocks/shoulder braces.

Granted, there will always be outliers like your example or industry attempts to circumvent the definition (like this whole situation) but I'd still rather have a solid rule rather than this "intent or function" crap we have now.

It was more of an example of how I would like the wording to be clear and definitive, rather than me attempting to fully define what a SBR should be. I imagine a full legal definition would not only need to mention barrel length, but also overall length and buttstocks/shoulder braces.

Granted, there will always be outliers like your example or industry attempts to circumvent the definition (like this whole situation) but I'd still rather have a solid rule rather than this "intent or function" crap we have now.
I understand that you weren’t serious about the exact dimensions and everything, I was just trying to point out that a blanket designation is going to screw someone over somewhere.

I think the logical decision would be to get rid of the nonsense designation of SBR and SBS. Can anyone show where either are inherently more dangerous?

Back