ATF Proposes Rules on "Stabilizing Braces"

Pretty sure they are rescinding the letter. 80,000 people commented when they attempted to ban Green Tip. In just a few days they had 50,000 people comment on the braces (and close to the holidays).

Though I think this isn't the last we'll see on this issue from the ATF.

I'm not exactly sure what this means....

"ATF is announcing the withdrawal of a notice and request for comments entitled “Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with ‘Stabilizing Braces’,” that was published on December 18, 2020."

"Upon further consultation with the Department of Justice and the Office of the Deputy Attorney General, ATF is withdrawing, pending further Department of Justice review, the notice and request for comments entitled “Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with ‘Stabilizing Braces’,” that was published on December 18, 2020. 85 FR 82516. As explained in the notice, the proposed guidance was not a regulation. The notice informed and invited comment from the industry and public on a proposed guidance prior to issuing a final guidance document. The withdrawal of the guidance does not change any law, regulation, or other legally binding requirement."

SB Criteria Withdrawal Notice 12-23-20.pdf | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Means all you have to do is post a bone head move on SS and said bone-heads back down. :thumbsup:

For now.

They can still interpret law without a public notice. I'm sure of the 50k comments many were along the lines of "fuck the ATF" so they'll say that the whole comment thing doesn't matter and we are going to interpret the law that pistol braces require a tax stamp.

I'm not exactly sure what this means....

"ATF is announcing the withdrawal of a notice and request for comments entitled “Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with ‘Stabilizing Braces’,” that was published on December 18, 2020."

"Upon further consultation with the Department of Justice and the Office of the Deputy Attorney General, ATF is withdrawing, pending further Department of Justice review, the notice and request for comments entitled “Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with ‘Stabilizing Braces’,” that was published on December 18, 2020. 85 FR 82516. As explained in the notice, the proposed guidance was not a regulation. The notice informed and invited comment from the industry and public on a proposed guidance prior to issuing a final guidance document. The withdrawal of the guidance does not change any law, regulation, or other legally binding requirement."

SB Criteria Withdrawal Notice 12-23-20.pdf | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
@Gunz -hate towards the ATF.
@Kraut783 temporary withdrawal, they'll try it again.

Any action taken by the BATFE is calculated. I can almost guarantee you that they are regrouping for another stronger shot in the not-so-distant future. I hope I'm wrong and will gladly admit it if it turns out the way, but I'm not feeling it right now....

So, submitted the Form 1 on eForms website on 12/03....I received my approval via email with a PDF of my stamp on 12/27....I was quite blown away, 24 days during a federal holiday month...unbelievable.
I’m assuming you’re talking about a suppressor?

They just recently became legal in Minnesota, I don’t currently have a pistol that is threaded to except one, do they need to be pistol specific?

Can I get one that is specifically 9 mm and use it on my eventual 9 mm?

They just recently became legal in Minnesota, I don’t currently have a pistol that is threaded to except one, do they need to be pistol specific?

No, Form 1 to SBR (Short Barreled rifle) a firearm.....you have to do a Form 4 for suppressors, just a different form because it's not a firearm.

Yep, you can purchase a 9mm can and decide what to use it on later.....I bought a Omega 9K which is good for 9mm and .300blk....for pistols you just have to add a piston for the suppressor...allows the semi-pistol to cycle. You can put the can on whatever weapon you want to...it's not designated for only one firearm.

Good info here....

Silencer Frequently Asked Questions Silencer Ship

No, Form 1 to SBR (Short Barreled rifle) a firearm.....you have to do a Form 4 for suppressors, just a different form because it's not a firearm.

Yep, you can purchase a 9mm can and decide what to use it on later.....I bought a Omega 9K which is good for 9mm and .300blk....for pistols you just have to add a piston for the suppressor...allows the semi-pistol to cycle. You can put the can on whatever weapon you want to...it's not designated for only one firearm.

Good info here....

Silencer Frequently Asked Questions Silencer Ship

Do I need to form-1 my 5.56 pistol with its 7.5in barrel? Just bought it last month.

It has a standard looking stock, just not telescoping like I'd prefer. It also doesn't seem removable?

ATF states a short barreled rifle is:

An SBR is a rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or longer but an overall length of fewer than 26 inches.

Right now there are AR "pistols" that have a brace instead of a stock, still perfectly legal...and you are still able to "occasionally" shoulder it.

If you have an AR pistol with a brace and want to put a regular stock on it, you would need to do a Form 1 to make it a short barreled rifle.

But you don't need to do anything to it, if you don't want to. I wanted to put a certain stock on my gun, so went ahead and did it.

Do I need to form-1 my 5.56 pistol with its 7.5in barrel? Just bought it last month.

It has a standard looking stock, just not telescoping like I'd prefer. It also doesn't seem removable?
How did you buy it?

Not a lawyer and not overly familiar Wisconsin law, but the short answer is no.

Form 1 is if you're building your own AR. Form 4 is if you're buying a prebuilt gun.

Back