Ballistic Vests -- EMT's

Respectfully, that's the wrong answer.

If 'something crazy' goes down while you're away from the station, you're screwed. The fact is you won't know when it's going to happen.

I always tell people that if you know when and where you're going to be in a gunfight, you shouldn't be there. We carry guns precisely because we don't know when we will need them.

Here's the latest from my town. I handed off an opiate OD I narcan'd for transport to this paramedic just hours before this happened. Great dude, good medic. Trust me, they weren't expecting it.

Ambulance struck by bullet carrying injured patient

Another law abiding citizen that "ain't did no wrong". 52/Market sucks. Who was the medic D?

M.

If 'something crazy' goes down while you're away from the station, you're screwed. The fact is you won't know when it's going to happen.

I always tell people that if you know when and where you're going to be in a gunfight, you shouldn't be there. We carry guns precisely because we don't know when we will need them.

Here's the latest from my town. I handed off an opiate OD I narcan'd for transport to this paramedic just hours before this happened. Great dude, good medic. Trust me, they weren't expecting it.

Last edited:

For a different system I would agree. For the community I live in where there have been 2 violent crimes in the decade I've lived here it is what it is. Space is a premium on our boxes since we're so rural, we carry a good bit more since our transport times are so long so its a risk we're willing to take. We respond out of station so if we have an inkling they may be needed they're available. LE beats us to most calls. My point was more that even in Mayberry we have them available to us if we so choose. Cheers.

Also, I'm in medic school at the moment, I plan on doing my externship someplace urban so I'll be interested to see how those systems handle it for sure.

We've had paramedics threatened at gunpoint and told, "Save my boy or you die too."

Happened to me, 1992.

Also had a patient who had been shot, we were working him, bad guy came back and shot him again. This time he finished the job. He just looked at us and walked away.

Not to mention the time I was at a code and I couldn't intubate and told my partner I was going "to bag the patient." The family assumed I meant "body bag" and started beating the shit out of me, told me I was going to save the man.

Happened to me, 1992.

Also had a patient who had been shot, we were working him, bad guy came back and shot him again. This time he finished the job. He just looked at us and walked away.

Not to mention the time I was at a code and I couldn't intubate and told my partner I was going "to bag the patient." The family assumed I meant "body bag" and started beating the shit out of me, told me I was going to save the man.

This is why I'm happy I carry a gun while caring for patients.

Happened to me, 1992.

People who have never had to deal with others during severely traumatic times never truly understand how the jump from "friend to foe" happens in seconds...and very often.

Back