Barrel length

91B, great post. I'm looking at eventually building a nice rifle but I need to learn about things first, so that post is a great starting point. Thanks!

If you go with a Remington build off of one of their actions... all factory Remington barrels are a 1:12 RH Twist. You need 1:10 for a good long distance gun to handle the heavier bullets.

If your going to shoot High Power in the future I would again tell you too buy a NM M1A1 or even a NM AR15, I run an 80gr load for my NM AR15 in order to shoot long range that will hold 1MOA at 1000yds. You can pick up a NM AR15 for roughly $1100 from Rock River and its a great rifle to learn high power/service rifle on. If you pick up a A3 model you can still mount an optic for plinking, however you will have your carry handel and irons for comp's.

Are you shooting small bore?

Yeah, I'm only shooting small bore competitively. Right now I have a Bushmaster E2, and I'm pretty good with the irons out to about 300 yards. Haven't plinked with it at any farther range.

Remington's tactical line is 1:10, (SPS, LTR, PSS, & 5R).

Thanks for correcting me! Has that changed within the last year or so? I was looking at the SPS in .308 two years ago and the specs were all 1:12. That's why I went with the savage tactical line.

Yeah, I'm only shooting small bore competitively. Right now I have a Bushmaster E2, and I'm pretty good with the irons out to about 300 yards. Haven't plinked with it at any farther range.

Right on, I started in small bore when I was 12 and went to service rifle/high power when I was 15 (still enjoy small bore). I am not trying to debunk anything that has been told to you here, it's all great advice. But you would be better served with a rifle you can use for both comps and your end goal (getting hits at 800-1000). With an end price range at $2000 you are able to pick up a NM M1A or NM AR 15 both can be mounted with optics, bipods and many other things. Both will give you roughly 1MOA at the distances you want to shoot, however that will take some time, training and a lot of rounds down range.

You really need to start applying a focus on learning how to read/call wind. Learning how to work your wind dope on the fly in between shots. Small bore and shooting at 300y/m is not going to give you enough effect for you to get a full understanding. If you’re going to shoot 5.56 I would spend time at the 500y/m distance, and if you are shooting 7.62 I would spend time at 800y/m distance. At these ranges you will get a greater effect on your bullet and this will teach you not to ignore that 3mph wind that you sometimes can at 300y/m. There is a group on this forum called “SHOOTERS” it has some pretty good info on wind dope.

Thanks for correcting me! Has that changed within the last year or so? I was looking at the SPS in .308 two years ago and the specs were all 1:12. That's why I went with the savage tactical line.

I don't know but it's been that way for at least a year or so, I have been thinking about using the SPS for a bolt gun build. ;)

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

Right on, I started in small bore when I was 12 and went to service rifle/high power when I was 15 (still enjoy small bore). I am not trying to debunk anything that has been told to you here, it's all great advice. But you would be better served with a rifle you can use for both comps and your end goal (getting hits at 800-1000). With an end price range at $2000 you are able to pick up a NM M1A or NM AR 15 both can be mounted with optics, bipods and many other things. Both will give you roughly 1MOA at the distances you want to shoot, however that will take some time, training and a lot of rounds down range.

You really need to start applying a focus on learning how to read/call wind. Learning how to work your wind dope on the fly in between shots. Small bore and shooting at 300y/m is not going to give you enough effect for you to get a full understanding. If you’re going to shoot 5.56 I would spend time at the 500y/m distance, and if you are shooting 7.62 I would spend time at 800y/m distance. At these ranges you will get a greater effect on your bullet and this will teach you not to ignore that 3mph wind that you sometimes can at 300y/m. There is a group on this forum called “SHOOTERS” it has some pretty good info on wind dope.

I'm definitely leaning towards the 7.62/.308, so I'll look into the NM's. I'm going to be getting into great depth this year with my shooting. All my neighbors are retired Marines, and a few miles away was a scout sniper for a, so I am hoping I'll get some good tips.

I've currently got a Bushmaster XM15, I might sell that to put towards an NM15 if I'll get better results.

I'll join the group as well, I'll take any advice I can get, thanks.

Also, skeeter, would you recommend a rifle from Savage's tactical line? They are pretty popular around where I live, so maybe I am missing out on something?

I have a Les Baer "Thunder Ranch" AR15 with a 16" fluted match barrel, propietary to Les Baer (416 Stainless, match chamber) Flat top, mid length gas system with free floating propietary aluminum handguards with 1913 pic rails up front. Flip up front sight base with Tritium sight post.

I use a fixed 5x scope and it will hold .5 MOA all day long with decent ammunition. That is promised from Les Baer Custom and it's true to that promise.

The rifle can also serve as a go-too battle rifle. Every thing about the Les Baer Custom rifle is top notch. Nickel coated BCG group and Jewel two stage comp trigger system. It is also ajustable. It all comes standard with the rifle. The only mod I made to the rifle was to change out the standard A2 fixed stock with a retractable 6 position with Vltor EMOD stock. The optics in my photos are self explanatory with Larue mounts. The LB Thunder Ranch rifle also comes with his propietary Bear Coat finish. It is the best finish I have ever seen or experienced on an AR platform rifle. The barrel is an 1:8 twist with bench rest cut rifleing. A great comprismise between 1:7 and 1:9 twist rates.

You can see it in my profile pics. LB Custom rocks !!!

It will fit your price point without having to build a single thing.

Back