Best 1911 for under $1500

K

Kurt V

In your opinion/experience, what is the best out of the box 1911 for under $1500? Planning on adding to the arsenal. This will probably not be a carry weapon, but will want reliability for home defense. I'm left handed so either needs to be a ambi safety or modified to a left safety. Right now the Springfield Armory TRP is my favorite. At least from my limited research.

In your opinion/experience, what is the best out of the box 1911 for under $1500? Planning on adding to the arsenal. This will probably not be a carry weapon, but will want reliability for home defense. I'm left handed so either needs to be a ambi safety or modified to a left safety. Right now the Springfield Armory TRP is my favorite. At least from my limited research.

Right at that price point, the TRP is as good a choice as any and I don't see you being unhappy with the purchase. For tad more you have more choices like Baer, and for a tad less, you have choices, but right on 1500, TRP is as good as any if you like it. Other than looks, options, etc, I don't think anyone can point to brand X at that price point and say it's a "better" gun than the TRP. That's my :2c:

I agree with Mr. Brink.

I own four 1911's and the Springfield TRP "Operator" if you can find one it is hands down the best 1911 that I own. If you wanna spend more, then yes, Les Baer, STI, or Night Hawk, but my experience with Kimber was and is not good so the Springfield TRP or TRP "Operator" are as good as it gets out of the box for the price point.

I agree with Mr. Brink.

I own four 1911's and the Springfield TRP "Operator" if you can find one it is hands down the best 1911 that I own. If you wanna spend more, then yes, Les Baer, STI, or Night Hawk, but my experience with Kimber was and is not good so the Springfield TRP or TRP "Operator" are as good as it gets out of the box for the price point.

I have to agree with you.. I do not have the same confidence level in my kimber as I do my other handguns.... FTFs on a brand new gun will do that to you.. :D

I have to agree with you.. I do not have the same confidence level in my kimber as I do my other handguns.... FTFs on a brand new gun will do that to you.. :D

I don't like Kimbers. Not trying to offend Kimber fans, but something about them I never liked and I hear more comments such as the above with this brand than any other X 2.

Out of curiosity what are your opinions of the Glock 29?

Apples and oranges for me. Not a Glock fan. They do what they are supposed to do (go bang reliably), but a 1911 they aint...:)

As Larry Vickers said "GIs carrying 1911s defeated Axis forces, including Austrians. The 1911 was winning battles and saving lives before Gaston Glock was even born - somewhere along the way we probably figured out a thing or two on combat handguns."

I'm sorry to hear that Bro"

My Kimber Tactical Pro II was the first and only Kimber that I own. I had to get Kimber to change out the extractor, polish the feed ramp a bit more and then I purchased Wilson mags before it began to run smoothly.

Their good looking guns though.

They do what they are supposed to do (go bang reliably), but a 1911 they aint..
You'll be pleased to know that I still have my grandfather's original Browning 1911 sidearm manufactured circa 1930's. ;)

You'll be pleased to know that I still have my grandfather's original Browning 1911 sidearm manufactured circa 1930's. ;)

Now that's a piece of history that could tell some stories if the old gal could talk! Lucky SOB! If you ever want to part with it....

Thanks for the advice from all of you that replied regarding a 1911 and not a glock. I don't like glocks they are to me ugly guns. Effective, but ugly. Going to a gun show today, who knows what I might luck out and find.

Out of curiosity what are your opinions of the Glock 29?

Nice pistol but ammo is expensive and hard to find. I think of it like this. If the world goes to shit tomorrow and I go "looking" for ammo what are you likely to find? 10mm or 9mm, .45, .40

Nice pistol but ammo is expensive and hard to find. I think of it like this. If the world goes to shit tomorrow and I go "looking" for ammo what are you likely to find? 10mm or 9mm, .45, .40

Considering the price of .45 right now, I hate to think what 10mm must cost per box these days. I have shot the full sized glock 10mm (forget model #) and the recoil was stiff but manageable. I would think in a sub compact polymer pistol, recoil would be borderline manageable in terms of accurate follow up shots, etc on target. Anyone have experience with a Glock 29?

Back