Blister treatment

hoorah

Old Sweat
Unverified
Does anyone have any good quick fixes for broken blisters? I have tried some of the plasters out there like compeed and there not worth a shyte when they get wet.

Im trying vaseline,cotton wool and sports tape, seems ok but havent done any serious rucking with it yet. All advice is appreciated,Thanks guys & girls!

If you have time to heal... Air dry, keep clean and elevated, use antibiotic ointment as a preventiative once or twice at onset.

If you have to ruck up NOW, then moleskin.. cut a patch about 3/4 of an inch larger than the blister, and trim the edges so they are smooth (no corners) wash and dry feet real well before applying.. IF you can get tincture of Benzoin to coat the edges (to help the moleskin stay put) get it.

If you have any hot spots (or small blisters forming) moleskin them up before rucking, and keep your feet dry (powder) and keep your socks changed (cushion)

Hope this helps.

'Doc' Collins :D

I have never used moleskin before does it keep its form when wet or swell up like others do? thanks for the advice so far keep em coming.

Moleskin is a very thin layer of soft surfaced cloth. Like suede but softer. As long as it stays attached, it keeps its form (which is the shape of what it covers). Clean and dry is the rule before attaching it or you are screwed from jumpstreet...

It also makes a great lining for some holsters that start to rub.. :D

Potassium Permanganate solution. Buy it a chemist, I mean drug store. It will harden the exposed skin. ;)

those ingenius socks are the shit to git. I ruck with those all the time out here. anyone remember "fit to fight"? goddamn 18th ABN corps.... why the fuck am I rucking 20k and running 4 miles for time but not getting a maroon beret or jump boots? I'm just sayin -I do the work, where's the goddamn benefits???? ok ok , sorry, rant over.

seriously, ingenius socks are worth every penny. and remember, you want your boots snug - that's SNUG.... not TIGHT, not LOOSE. you don't want them sliding around on your feet as that causes more rubbing. wear a good cotton sock inside the ingenius socks or some wool boot socks, and then put your boots on. SNUG, but not tight, and iz more gooder. and what 91B said about the moleskin pre-emptively...... very good idea. do it. let us know how it works for you.

Two sock layers; wool socks over nylon socks.

Duct-tape on thise places experience has shown you will get blisters.

Heart.

blister action

Guys
Read & learn!
Before the blister bursts just get a needle & cotton from your sewing/ medical kit, wipe the needle and thread with an alco-wipe to sterilise, then pass the needle and trail of thread through the roof of the blister. Cut off thread about half an inch either side of the blister to make a double wick. Place some absorbent material on top of blister & thread wick to soak up fluid & keep clean.
After a few days the roof of the blister will shrink down and adhere to the skin again, leaving a protective layer and minimise the chance of infection.
I have used this technique as a medic on SAS selection and Pre-Para Cadre and it works. Also less painful than Tinc-Benz injections and all you need is a needle & thread.

Medic 1

nifty. I might try that. I usually just pop them and and leave the skin otherwise intact, tape some gauze over it for drainage. thanks.

Guys
Read & learn!
Before the blister bursts just get a needle & cotton from your sewing/ medical kit, wipe the needle and thread with an alco-wipe to sterilise, then pass the needle and trail of thread through the roof of the blister. Cut off thread about half an inch either side of the blister to make a double wick. Place some absorbent material on top of blister & thread wick to soak up fluid & keep clean.
After a few days the roof of the blister will shrink down and adhere to the skin again, leaving a protective layer and minimise the chance of infection.
I have used this technique as a medic on SAS selection and Pre-Para Cadre and it works. Also less painful than Tinc-Benz injections and all you need is a needle & thread.

Medic 1

I do that whenever I get a blister, works really well.
-----------
Listen to the medics when they talk about moleskin etc... they KNOW!

Experience taught me that after you get a blister and have to ruck again, after you tape it etc... just go! The pain doesnt last long at all.

I got two poisioned heels one time because I didnt properly look after two large blisters and tried to tough my way through it unaided, I ended up on crutches.
Keep it clean!

Listen to the medics!

Guys
Read & learn!

Medic 1

Kind of like creating your own callous, only quicklier. Neat trick.

Any time you break a blister there is a risk of infection. With the current widespread endemic of antibiotic resistent staph infections (MRSA), I would never recommend putting any extra breaks in your skin that aren't absolutely necessary. The best treatment for a blister is to stay off until it heals on its own.

That being said, I understand medic 1's point that if the choice is between continuing to run on a blister and ripping it wide open versus a strategic strike, the latter is the better option. I would just advise heating the needle with a flame till it glows to sterilize it in addition to lots of alcohol both on the needle and to clean the skin beforehand.

SAM Medical products make a dressing called BlistoBan that can both treat and prevent blisters. Looks cool when I have seen it at trade shows, but cannot say I have seen it in action. The theory behind it seems solid.

DuoDerm is also a dressing I have used in practice for many years in my summer job on a beach patrol (I know hard life) when the lifeguards have blisters on their feet from rookie training. The DuoDerm held up even through soft sand runs, we keep a hefty supply of the stuff in our first aid office at the beach.

Hope that helps.

EMSDoc :cool:

Back