Blue Sharpie Markers?

J

jelco90

I keep seeing blue sharpie/permanent marker pens in medical kits. While I can find plenty of uses for a marker does any one here know why Blue color is used so much? This may be a stupid question but I know someone here probably knows this answer. Thanks
Jelco

To draw the line to show where to cut?:uhh:

Or to write either 'R' or 'L' to show which foot to amputate?:doh:

Good for marking pedal pulses, TQ application times, all kinds of things.

JJ

Thanks for the responses. Why would you use blue over black? I was thinking there might be some reason. Thanks again.
Jelco 90

Dried blood looks black - fresh blood is red - green is hard to see in low light -so blue is easy to see, doesn't look like dried blood, won't get lost in fresh blood and the sharpie is indelible. You can use the pts own blood to mark these things, in denied areas - but you run the risk of losing your notes.

XSFMED: Thanks for your response. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to post an answer.
Jelco90

Dried blood looks black - fresh blood is red - green is hard to see in low light -so blue is easy to see, doesn't look like dried blood, won't get lost in fresh blood and the sharpie is indelible. You can use the pts own blood to mark these things, in denied areas - but you run the risk of losing your notes.

Damn learn something new everyday...Thanks

I used my blue sharpie for the first time yesterday.... works well. it's amazing how much better I see the stuff I've written. it reaches out and slaps you when it's in blue. thanks again.

As has been noted in other threads.... "He's an SF Medic, he knows things, and stays at the Holiday Inn Express."

Remember the main SF mission: "...To train, advise, organize and assist indigineous forces in their fights against oppressive governments..." - well, you guys happen to be the indig... but I will not organize nor assist you in overthrowing the government (unless shrillary is elected)... training and advising with my limited and outdated knowledge of jungle medicine will have to suffice.

as you've seen so far, I shall take my chances and absorb every bit of your outdated jungle medicine knowledge I can. and I'll leave the maggots for the birds.

HeloMedic: Can you give us an example of how, what and why you used the blue sharpie marker? Thanks for your help.
jelco90

teaching a CLS class, actually. not real-world, yet, I know, but moulage is red, black, purple, green, etc.... I wrote down tourniquet times on a "casualty" when I was demonstrating the need to write things down. red isn't that bright, black gets lost in the uniform, and green is self-explanatory. the blue stuck out like a sore thumb. I imagine you'll get more real-world time out of it then me for the next month, Jelco. (we're short-timers now).

As has been noted in other threads.... "He's an SF Medic, he knows things, and stays at the Holiday Inn Express."

Remember the main SF mission: "...To train, advise, organize and assist indigineous forces in their fights against oppressive governments..." - well, you guys happen to be the indig... but I will not organize nor assist you in overthrowing the government (unless shrillary is elected)... training and advising with my limited and outdated knowledge of jungle medicine will have to suffice.

Notice, there's not a thing in the SF mission about spelling words correctly... }:-)

It's indigenous, Mr Old Fart SF Medic... :-x

LL

the old school Army written to a 4th grade standard. that's at least a 7th grade word. I say he still meets the standard due to proper usage.

LL-
Thank you for the spot correction (under breath, biatch;)) I will take it under advisement to leave the extra "i" out and place the "e" in its correct position.

HM-
wrong is wrong - well the patient died, but look at how perfect those sutures are - just ain't gonna cut it. I should have checked my spelling, since, I was unsure it was correct. Plus, she knows I studied English at one point in my life, and should know better. The lovely LL was just being recalcitrant, obstinate, and basically evil ... see, no misspellings there, I didn't obfuscate anything by misplacing any phonemes, did I?}:-):doh::uhh:

Back