Breakthrough in Fusion Research

Channeling my inner Rabbit Ears…follow the money.

Big Oil, Big electric, Big Coal, Big etc will never permit this to happen.

Remember this thread and make note to revisit it again in a few years…you’ll wonder why gas is now $4.54/gal and your power company just rose rates again.

This technology will have have been either been discredited or abandoned.

Google the curious death of Stanley Meyer and his water powered car.

Remember this thread and make note to revisit it again in a few years…you’ll wonder why gas is now $4.54/gal and your power company just rose rates again.

They'll have a long time to maintain that financial stranglehold.

The scientists would have to solve the energy generation problem first to create "free" energy.

It took 2 Megajoules from the lasers to create 3 megajoules of power, but 320ish megajoules just to power the lasers.

Thats still a decent amount of gas/coal/electric being used.

...The scientists would have to solve the energy generation problem first to create "free" energy...It took 2 Megajoules from the lasers to create 3 megajoules of power, but 320ish megajoules just to power the lasers...

Unlimited clean energy from fusion won't happen in my lifetime, maybe not in that of my children. But it's a step, a baby step, but a baby step in an encouraging direction.

Of course, if the population continues to explode exponentially, we may kill and eat each other before we can enjoy the benefits.

Unlimited clean energy from fusion won't happen in my lifetime, maybe not in that of my children. But it's a step, a baby step, but a baby step in an encouraging direction.

Of course, if the population continues to explode exponentially, we may kill and eat each other before we can enjoy the benefits.
All of humanity would need to increase 21,000 times to fill up all available space on the planet. I think we are going to be fine.

Big Solar and Big Wind you mean.

Exactly! It's just wealth redistribution at the top. Still going to destroy the planet, just not in our back yard. Instead of colonization, it's just rape and pillage.
Do you think a planet-and-human-saving solution exists?
If so? Do share, and please detail how.
If not? Fair play.

Do you think a planet-and-human-saving solution exists?
If so? Do share, and please detail how.
If not? Fair play.

We're putting the cart before the horse...

You're cool with open pit mines, oil and gas extraction; as long as it's not in North America? Slave's extracting minerals? Artificially energy shortages to increase pricing, to increase profit and making it unaffordable for the average person? That's not even including the increases in basic necessities of life, like food. Shipping our waste to the third world?

If you think if they ever make this viable, it wouldn't be free energy. If humanity survives that long. We're more likely to be destroyed by nukes at this point but an asteroid or solar storm are also likely.
It's possible to save the planet and humanity without handicapping ourselves in the process. There's a need for 100% backup for all solar and wind.

The looming copper crunch and why recycling can’t fix it

As demand for rare earths rises, world’s biggest producer might stop exporting them, says analyst
US energy industry needs ‘backup,’ can’t run on ‘just wind and solar’: Former BP Chief Scientist Steve Koonin

We're putting the cart before the horse...
Not in this case, because my question wasn't designed to refute your points. I was curious to know what planet-and-human saving solution you felt existed, if one did at all.

I'm also interested in hearing any ideas you have on how to practically address the variables that may prevent humans from doing what is needed to realize this possibility:
It's possible to save the planet and humanity without handicapping ourselves in the process.

Not in this case, because my question wasn't designed to refute your points. I was curious to know what planet-and-human saving solution you felt existed, if one did at all.

I'm also interested in hearing any ideas you have on how to practically address the variables that may prevent humans from doing what is needed to realize this possibility:

Stop handicapping North American industry and letting environmental extremists dictate policy. The market will correct itself, don't force it at the cost of your very own people. Canada has failed to meet any arbitrary carbon target, meanwhile taxing the nation to death. They hit the farmers with fertilizer restrictions next year.
Oil and Gas is not going away any time soon. Stop buying from despots and dictators. Expand North American production, flood the market, fuck OPEC. Make energy cheaper for everyone, especially the developing world. LNG to Europe could have prevented a war. Almost as if Trump was right.

Open mines for the rare earth minerals and essential metals needed. Stop importing from our enemies.

I could go on and on. But basically undo everything Obama and Biden has done with energy policy. And go back in time to prevent Castro from nutting in Trudeau's Mom.

Stop handicapping North American industry and letting environmental extremists dictate policy. The market will correct itself, don't force it at the cost of your very own people. Canada has failed to meet any arbitrary carbon target, meanwhile taxing the nation to death. They hit the farmers with fertilizer restrictions next year.
Oil and Gas is not going away any time soon. Stop buying from despots and dictators. Expand North American production, flood the market, fuck OPEC. Make energy cheaper for everyone, especially the developing world. LNG to Europe could have prevented a war. Almost as if Trump was right.

Open mines for the rare earth minerals and essential metals needed. Stop importing from our enemies.

I could go on and on. But basically undo everything Obama and Biden has done with energy policy. And go back in time to prevent Castro from nutting in Trudeau's Mom.

I'll bet your Canadian farmers protest next year, tractors blocking roads--just like the truckers did. They've already staged massive protests in India and the Netherlands, although for different reasons: the Indians over price controls, the Dutch over environmental mandates.

We haven't had a massive farm protest here in the US since 4,000 tractors and 10,000 farmers converged on Jimmy Carter's hometown in the late 70's.

Hard agree with the rest of your post. And fuck Castro's gay-boy son.

Back