BRPC/BRC CLASS 2016001

image.png
Can someone translate for me?

@DA SWO

In order to complete BRPC , Students have to pass the USMC's Water Survival Advanced (WSA) swim qualification. Which is the second highest qual you can get right behind MCIWS(Marine Corps instructor of water survival) it includes timed swims, a little treading, and rescues. Hands down the single biggest thing that kills students is Rescue #2 (Rear head hold, Rear head hold escape, double armpit level off double armpit tow, transitioning to a cross chest carry. ) all that means is you swim up to your instructor, turn around (swimulates a rogue wave/losing visual contact) then your instructor grabs you from behind, and you have to conduct the escape, break contact, then re approach your victim from the rear and drag him back 25m uses 3 rescues methods. O yeah and your "Victim" is one of the BRC instructor cadre, so they really help you out.

I ran 5 WSA courses as a MCIWS at my old unit every time we would lose 2/3 students to rescue #2 alone hope this helps, the picture above is the escape portion of Recuse # 2

View attachment 14713

@DA SWO

In order to complete BRPC , Students have to pass the USMC's Water Survival Advanced (WSA) swim qualification. Which is the second highest qual you can get right behind MCIWS(Marine Corps instructor of water survival) it includes timed swims, a little treading, and rescues. Hands down the single biggest thing that kills students is Rescue #2 (Rear head hold, Rear head hold escape, double armpit level off double armpit tow, transitioning to a cross chest carry. ) all that means is you swim up to your instructor, turn around (swimulates a rogue wave/losing visual contact) then your instructor grabs you from behind, and you have to conduct the escape, break contact, then re approach your victim from the rear and drag him back 25m uses 3 rescues methods. O yeah and your "Victim" is one of the BRC instructor cadre, so they really help you out.

I ran 5 WSA courses as a MCIWS at my old unit every time we would lose 2/3 students to rescue #2 alone hope this helps, the picture above is the escape portion of Recuse # 2
Thanks for the explanation. I should have clarified a bit more.

Ahhh, rescue 2....I still have anxiety when I think of slipping into the pool after a hearty "help, call 911!"

@Jim Flagan I assume the requirement to pass WSA applies to students who are MCIWS qual'd prior to attending BRPC?

Ahhh, rescue 2....I still have anxiety when I think of slipping into the pool after a hearty "help, call 911!"

@Jim Flagan I assume the requirement to pass WSA applies to students who are MCIWS qual'd prior to attending BRPC?

That is correct. Keep in mind I DID NOT attend BRPC, at the time I was not required to. The standard is the standard at BRC. I conducted rescue practice, and tested out just like everyone else. It helped knowing the rescues, and having a little more experience in the water, but BRC rescues are a little different from MCIWS rescues.

That is correct. Keep in mind I DID NOT attend BRPC, at the time I was not required to. The standard is the standard at BRC. I conducted rescue practice, and tested out just like everyone else. It helped knowing the rescues, and having a little more experience in the water, but BRC rescues are a little different from MCIWS rescues.

I see. We had a couple Recon Marines in the class I was in at MCWSS and they said something very similar about the rescues portion being slightly different.

I keep hearing that BRPC is significantly more difficult that BRC....is this because there's no real 'standard' to go by during that phase of training, or do they just find more time to weed out the ones who can't hack it due to less academic time?

I graduated Friday with BRC 4-16. It was a long road, but there are surely much longer ones ahead. What a learning curve. It sucked, but it was great. Back at my parent unit right now. Word is 3rd Recon Bn. Awaiting official orders. Until then, adding to what I've gained and staying sharp.

I graduated Friday with BRC 4-16. It was a long road, but there are surely much longer ones ahead. What a learning curve. It sucked, but it was great. Back at my parent unit right now. Word is 3rd Recon Bn. Awaiting official orders. Until then, adding to what I've gained and staying sharp.

Well done! Never forget that every day is a selection and every task is a test. Earn your place every day, maintain a positive attitude and stay humble. Your adventure begins today. You have a lot to be proud of.

Thank you. I will, always. I am sort of in the dark when it comes to what arriving to a battalion will be like, especially as a lat mover from the type of unit I was apart of (though grateful for the experiences/training it gave me) so I will make sure to use the support offered here if any questions or concerns arise.

Thank you. I will, always. I am sort of in the dark when it comes to what arriving to a battalion will be like, especially as a lat mover from the type of unit I was apart of (though grateful for the experiences/training it gave me) so I will make sure to use the support offered here if any questions or concerns arise.

Focus on the job and becoming a part of your unit above everything else... there are guys depending on you to be a teammate and support system, they come first.

Back