Can I still attend Airborne and RASP after getting a metal rod in my leg?

Any explanation for that?

It is on the process (I think that's the medical term) on the right side of my L5. If you take an oblique x-ray you can see it (I think the description once used was 'a Scottie dog with a broken neck' to describe the shape). It could heal if I had surgery or a body cast or something dumb like that, but two chiros and a an ortho all pretty much said the same thing. More trouble to fix it than to leave it be even though it causes me some problems from time-to-time.

I take it you still jump, as I would if I could?

F.M.

I made another dozen or so jumps with -1B canopies and some 375-400 civilian freefalls after the injury. I'd still jump in a civilian capacity, but I'd become a fanatic about physical conditioning if I wore a uniform and were on status again. I've always perceived mil jumping to provide me with a higher likelihood of serious injury and civvie jumping as providing a higher likelihood of death.

I was jumping an MC1-1B when I got hurt and jumped another 43 after I healed before I got out. I did some hollywoods on Sat. afternoons. I agree with the injury v/s. death thing, but I never jumped civilian though.

F.M.

I'd rather jump a T-10 than a -1B.

Consider that skydiving sees an average of around 30+ fatalities a year in the US (2009 was a record year with only 16 fatalities in the US though world-wide the count remains around 65), I have the perception that I was more likely to die doing it. While accidents happen in skydiving, I was far more likely to find a paratrooper who had injured themselves than a skydiver.

OK Guys, I have read this and the other threads about losing jump status if there be hardware in yer body. The best I can come up with is the definate possibility of a sorta, potential maybe. While it isn't critical to my current plot line, I am using the possibility of a Batt boy losing jump if he as to have hardware put into his femur (thigh bone). I pride myself on being as accurate as I possibly can be on all stuff Mil. Is it at least believeable that he might lose jump if he has to have the hardware???

Here is the deal. Enlisting, period, is a shot in the dark. You WILL require a medical waiver, and they are not easy to come by these days. With what you have going on, it is VERY unlikely, at best, that you will even be able to enlist. Should you be cleared to enlist, i.e. your med waiver is approved, then you WILL NOT get Opt. 4 or 40, or any MOS that requires airborne (18x, 92R), as MEPCOM will not allow anyone with a med waiver to get an airborne physical at MEPS, and you cannot get an MOS or option that comes with airborne with out the airborne physical. I hate to break it to you, but have you been over to the "what's your back up plan" thread yet?

Goon - a) I said nothing about someone who is enlisting, this is an already established Batt boy CHARACTER. b) I asked if it was realistic, c) I don't need a backup plan as this is a fictional character I'm talking about ex- "plot line" and d) I'm a girl, I couldn't get in Batt if I wanted

(knew I shouldn't have asked anyway . . .goes back to writing cave)

No guys, seriously, I really don't hold grudges over something like this. I was just asking an honest question so that my book wont be like the stoopid ones where female writes dont "get" the military way.

Now that we've smoozed and made up, can ya give me the straight scoop????

Well, if a Ranger has a rod in his leg, but is still fully functional, I don't know why they would take him off jump status. Look at SFC Kap, he has a friggin' prosthetic and is still on jump status. Now, if the hard ware makes it impossible for him to function in ways needed to jump, then of course he would be taken off of jump status. I don't think hardware is a definite no-go though, it depends on how well one recovers. If one of the 18D's runnin' around here want to weigh in, I'm sure they could give a more definitive account of what the process is in deciding if someone stays on jump status or not.

One of the guys in my platoon had a rod placed in his femur due to a horrible jump accident. He only completed a water jump after his accident and I want to say that by choice he decided not to jump anymore. He was fully operational and kicking in doors after a couple months of intense physical therapy, the gym was his sanctuary.

Well, if a Ranger has a rod in his leg, but is still fully functional, I don't know why they would take him off jump status...

You're right, because accession and retention standards for service are different. Qualified SM's, if determined to be able to meet their duty requirements, are given much more leeway to remain in their current MOS. Hence SOF personnel can continue in their duties with prosthetics, but a new recruit is automatically ineligible to enlist.

However, for the OP, a rod in the femur may not REQUIRE a waiver. Note the following:

AR 40-501- Ch. 2-11: (2) Current retained hardware that is symptomatic, interferes with proper wearing of protective equipment or
military uniform, and/or is subject to easy trauma, does not meet the standard (V53.7). Retained hardware (733.99)
(including plates, pins, rods, wires, or screws used for fixation) is not disqualifying if fractures are healed, ligaments
are stable, there is no pain, and it is not subject to easy trauma.

The problem is the definition of 'easy trauma,' and that's where the specifics of your history and the information presented to the MEPS physician makes a huge difference.

For Airborne/Ranger duty the following is most relevant:

The causes of medical unfitness for initial selection for Airborne training, Ranger training, Special Forces, and Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders Course (RSLC) training are all the causes listed in chapter 2, plus all the causes listed in paragraphs 5–3 and 5–4... (9) Retained hardware that is integral to maintaining fixation or stability, or presents a risk to mobility or a risk of further injury by its presence.

This is a much higher standard.

Based on regulations and spending days wrangling paper getting guys to these schools, I would say the OP's chances for enlisting aren't very bad, but the chances of going Airborne are slim; to RASP, none.

For the current member of Ranger Regiment, it really depends on his recovery, but given the normal history of femoral rods, he is less likely to lose jump status. The wiggle room for current members of Ranger Regiment is far larger, because it's a good idea to keep anyone who can do the job in their current position.

Based on regulations and spending days wrangling paper getting guys to these schools, I would say the OP's chances for enlisting aren't very bad, but the chances of going Airborne are slim; to RASP, none.

You laid it out beautifully, Doc.

As to the quote, this depends entirely on your ethical standards and just how bad do you really want it, or to even try Airborne School, RASP, or even SFAS.

Example 1: A young recruit that walks into the doc's office and says "I really want to join the service and I'd really like to go to Airborne School, BUT I have this rod in my leg". Good idea to state it like this???.....ummmmm :thumbsdown:

Example 2: A young recruit walks in to the doc and says "I want to be an Airborne Ranger". Any lies there? Nope. Positive can-do attitude that says I can do anything I set my mind to, rod or no.... yup.

Presentation makes a difference.

Doc, if every physician contracted at the MEPS followed the regulation to a 'T' like you, and used common sense like you, there would be a lot more good folks in the service right now. My assessment of him having a slim chance of getting in to the service and next to no chance of getting any airborne related slots is based off of what I have seen of the MEPS medical personnel. There is much to be desired in many cases.

Back