Can I still attend Airborne and RASP after getting a metal rod in my leg?

... based off of what I have seen of the MEPS medical personnel. There is much to be desired in many cases.

Man, you are totally right on that too. Nearly every day I come across stuff from the MEPS physicians that just makes me sigh deeply and think about my happy place. And most military physicians don't even know what 40-501 IS, much less what it says; never mind grasping the intent of the regulations.

Didn't mean to come across like I was disputing you by the way. I only wanted to convey that reasonable approaches are possible, but like you said, totally dependent on the caliber of the doctor at MEPS, which is often quite low.

As to the quote, this depends entirely on your ethical standards and just how bad do you really want it, or to even try Airborne School, RASP, or even SFAS.

Example 1: A young recruit that walks into the doc's office and says "I really want to join the service and I'd really like to go to Airborne School, BUT I have this rod in my leg". Good idea to state it like this???.....ummmmm :thumbsdown:

Example 2: A young recruit walks in to the doc and says "I want to be an Airborne Ranger". Any lies there? Nope. Positive can-do attitude that says I can do anything I set my mind to, rod or no.... yup.

Presentation makes a difference.

True RB, the presentation is key; the problem lies with the MEPS doctors who sometimes do the easy thing ("You're records say you have a rod, no soup for you!") instead of working with the recruit. It's hard to fault them usually, since they are processing a large number of soldiers and there is the "needs of the Army" to consider. There's no incentive for a MEPS physician to run the risk of sending a guy who might get hurt to Airborne/RASP, unless you're an idealist like me. :-) Most of the MEPS guys are old civilians who just want to move the meat and collect their pay. So they see the "risk of injury" as a catch-all phrase and make it into a hard and fast rule, when it shouldn't be thus.

I think the best approach is to get in, and then work with a good Surgeon. I have a highly qualified and motivated E-5 who had a tibial rod, and thus was disqualified automatically from SFAS, despite the fact that this guy would be a good candidate. I reviewed his records, got him to see an orthopedic surgeon whom I spoke to in order to explain the situation, he's getting the rod removed, and hopefully the packet will be approved. But it also took him 2 years to end up assigned to my unit and for me to be able to work with him; and I also benefitted from knowing a little bit about what's required, from knowing and speaking a little with men like you, in order to be able to get a basic sense of whether this NCO was worth the effort; last thing I want to do is send broke shitbags to SFAS and waste everyone's time. All this just happened to be luck. Getting to the training and unit that one desires is always more likely once in service than as a recruit off the street. Unfortunately, too few doctors are knowledgable about the regs or how to apply them, and it becomes luck of the draw. In their defense, many doctors don't need to know; we have enough to fill our time without reading boring AR's. ;-)

Now if only I could get all Army doctors in relevant slots to actually read AR 40-501... I feel like half our guys don't even know how to write a good profile.

I can give it a shot, but would need to set some ground rules so that I don't get overwhelmed with repetitive questions. I also need to make clear that timeliness may not be consistent as duty requirements come first. Some of you also know that I have a tendency to be an asshole, so if I get a bit draconian about enforcing my rules, it needs to be accepted, within reason of course.

If that's okay with the moderators and admin's, I would be happy to do a test run. Which forum do you guys think would be appropriate?

... But it also took him 2 years to end up assigned to my unit and for me to be able to work with him; and I also benefitted from knowing a little bit about what's required, from knowing and speaking a little with men like you, in order to be able to get a basic sense of whether this NCO was worth the effort; last thing I want to do is send broke shitbags to SFAS and waste everyone's time.

There will always be that "one" that you have a sense for and that you spend the extra time with, with the knowledge that they are worth your time and will go far.

All this just happened to be luck.

Doc, Luck had nothing to do with your interaction with this young stud.

Back