Case Study: Revolution

OK, as much as I'd like to milk the resolution of this case study for another day or two, simply for my own amusement, I've got some things going on that require my full attention. As most of you know, these case studies aren't over until you see THE END. So here is the rest of the story, as they say. Enjoy, thanks for participating, and as always thanks for your patience.

/////

“Please wait here for further instructions,” Colonel Evans said curtly before he and the other officers departed. Faith felt someone’s stare upon him, and looked up to see his old friend Simon Criss trying to make eye contact. “Never Say Quit!” Criss mouthed to Faith before departing the room.

Faith collapsed into a chair. What was he going to do now? How was he going to explain this to his wife? Had he done all of this for nothing? As he sat in the chair making sure he wasn’t going to start crying, the door opened and General Molland walked in. Faith jumped up and snapped to the position of attention. Ken followed shortly behind.

“Take your seat,” Molland directed. “So, what did Colonel Evans tell you?” he inquired.

“He said that the 16th SAVE was unable to offer me a job, and that he was sending me back to the 116th Transportation Brigade,” Faith told him.

“Ha!” Molland exclaimed. “Evans always did have a dry sense of humor. Did he say why the 16th couldn’t give you a job?”

“No sir, I guess I wasn’t what they were looking for.”

“Are you kidding me? You are exactly what they are looking for. That’s why Evans was so pissed off during the board.”

“Sir?” Faith said, not understanding.

“I told them they couldn’t have you,” Molland explained.

“Sir?” Faith said again. Surely the commander of SOCOM wouldn’t cock-block a deserving candidate from an important SOF assignment over something like a loss in a racketball game.

“I told them that they couldn’t have you, because I want you to be my new aide,” Molland explained. It took Faith a while for this to sink in.

“But Colonel Evans’ objection…” Faith began.

“Yeah, he objected to me poaching his #1 draft pick out of the intel bubbas,” Molland informed him. “Tim… I mean Ken is moving on,” Molland continued. I asked him to check out the current crop of candidates for a good replacement. He picked you. When I saw you I remembered you from our little racketball date a while back. Based on how you handled that, and our assessment, I wanted you as my new aide. I had to wrestle Evans over it, but eventually he came around to my way of thinking.” Molland smiled. “So yes, you’re going back to the 116th Trans, to outprocess and start your new job here as my aide de camp.”

Faith was speechless. “Unless… you don’t want the job?” Molland said.

“Sir, I would LOVE to be your aid,” Faith said, the enormity of this situation finally settling in. “When do I start?” he asked.

“You already have,” Molland answered.

“How long is this assignment?” Faith inquired.

“Until you lose to me in racketball,” Molland answered, grinning wryly. “Ken, can you get him spun up?”

“Sure thing sir,” Ken answered as Molland rose and left the room. Ken then gave Faith a wink and said, “Welcome to the team, bro. I told you that you weren’t going to get that S2 job.”

“Not yet, anyway,” Faith said, smiling back.

“So, does it feel good to be starting a new evolution of your career?” Ken asked.

“Evolution? With all I’ve been through lately, landing this gig is more like a revolution,” Faith answered. And he meant it. To go from flying high in 2nd Group, to the low of getting run out of that unit and shunted over to the 116th Trans, to the roller coaster of assessing for 16th SAVE, and now to being the aide de camp for the most powerful man in Special Operations.

“Wait until my wife hears about this…”

THE END

Well, I'm off to actually read the other case studies. It seems like I missed quite a bit of back story but now I have time to get through them all (although it looks like I read some, I'm finding reply's from before).

Anyone else who is in a similar mood, read this one first, then I think this one, and then this one, and then this one, and then the current case study will make a little more sense. I think it goes:

loving wife
soul plane
revolution

So I need a bit of clarification: Is being a general's aide considered a good job? I wasn't an officer so I always thought of aides as sort of like an adjutant, and those guys seemingly were always morose.

Hm, yeah, she kind of disappeared from the story, didn't she? And wasn't it weird how she kept saying she wasn't assessing for the 16th... yet she was assessing for "something," so why was she participating in the assessment and selection process for the 16th if she wasn't trying out for the 16th? I wonder what that was all about.

Hm, yeah, she kind of disappeared from the story, didn't she? And wasn't it weird how she kept saying she wasn't assessing for the 16th... yet she was assessing for "something," so why was she participating in the assessment and selection process for the 16th if she wasn't trying out for the 16th? I wonder what that was all about.
I figured it'd go into Case Study #7.

Oh, and I think the hate towards the lose ends has caused the server to run and hide.:hmm:

So I need a bit of clarification: Is being a general's aide considered a good job? I wasn't an officer so I always thought of aides as sort of like an adjutant, and those guys seemingly were always morose.

Being an aide is somewhat dependent on the general you work for. I had a friend who liked his time as an aide but the general may have been the coolest general ever too. Others have horror stories as an aide. I was never an aide so I can only speculate to the advantages of being an aide.

Back