Chances of Air Force Surgeon General’s approval

Torres308

Unverified
To sum it all up. I had gotten an S/P ORIF on my left leg (An IM rod and 4 screws, 2 above my ankle and 2 below my knee) 4 years ago. My recruiter took all of my medical records of the surgery and sent it to the Surgeon General. A couple of weeks go by and my recruiter calls me and says that it kicked back, and that they were requesting additional info. The SG was “requesting a current ortho eval with a recommendation that the hardware not removed and that the patient is unlikely to experience problems over the course of their lifetime. Also need ROM, strength and stability along w/ activity level.” So I went to to an ortho and got everything they wanted. My recruiter sent those new docs to the SG, and it has now been 30 days since I’ve heard from the SG. What are your guys’ thoughts on my situation? Is there a really good chance that imma get approved, and be able to get into the AirForce?

By the way my ROM tests and all of the other things needed were good. My bones are perfectly healed and I have no issues at all.

Well, since none of us are on the SG's staff, there's really no way for us to posit an opinion that's valid, right?

Listen- you're not even in yet, so I doubt the SG wakes up every day and says to themselves, "CRAP! How is that @Torres308 process going?! I really hope they don't feel like I am taking too long on this one."

I have an AF SG level waiver for a life threatening injury that (very luckily) required no surgery or hardware while I was a PJ... and the process to get that waiver took me almost 11 months from the time it was first kicked back. If I am tracking this correctly, you're about 45 days deep in your process working through a recruiter.

My thoughts on your situation is you're being impatient, and my advice would be go PT and wait for word back from the SG.

ETA- Moved to AF sub.

My waiver for an ORIF on my clavicles (collarbones) took four months and an encyclopedia of medical records. It did get approved, though. Like @amlove21 said, be patient.

Also, be prepared for this level of "efficiency" within the Air Force in general.

I don't think your recruiter would have tried if he/she didn't think he waiver was possible.
You didn't say what AFSC you want, either way; go PT your ass off. See if AF Enlisted forums still exists and get their BMT prep booklet.

I don't think your recruiter would have tried if he/she didn't think he waiver was possible.
You didn't say what AFSC you want, either way; go PT your ass off. See if AF Enlisted forums still exists and get their BMT prep booklet.
I honestly don’t really mind what job I get so long as it is a good one that will help me post military service. On the ASVAB I scored a 88
M-67
A-87
G-88
E-81

Does telling my recruiter what field area I want increase my chances of approval? Based on my scores what AFSC should I get? My brother is in the USMC currently with a logistics job and he says that it’ll be something that I’ll like

Also, be prepared for this level of "efficiency" within the Air Force in general.

Within all government agencies/departments in general. I waited at least three months for med waivers prior to joining ANG. And these were not SG level. They were approved.

Last edited:
Back