China Quietly Exceeds Expectations In Space Tech Development

JBS

Leatherneck
Verified Military
A Chinese space expert said here on Tuesday that the Long March 5 large-thrust carrier rocket, currently under development and scheduled to be put into service in 2014, will be mainly used for the delivery of lunar rovers, large satellites and space stations.

"With a maximum payload capacity up to 25 tons, the jumbo rocket is expected to be able to send lunar rovers, large satellites and space stations into space after 2014," said Liang Xiaohong, vice president of the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology.

The rocket, whose development was approved by the central authorities in 2007 following two decades of feasibility study, will be manufactured at a rocket production facility in the Binhai New Area of Tianjin, a port city some 120 km to the southeast of Beijing, said Liang, also a member of the 11th National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), China's top political advisory body currently holding its annual full session here.

The facility will be able to produce 12 large-thrust carrier rockets each year, to meet both domestic and international demand for commercial satellite launches, Liang told Xinhua on the sidelines of the session.

He added that researchers on the new rocket, designed to be non-toxic and pollution-free, would complete the design work by October this year and then present an initial model.

"Many ground tests will be conducted before the introduction of a trial model and the first launch of the rocket," he said.

The first launch of the Long March 5 is most likely to happen in Wenchang
of China's southernmost island province of Hainan, where a new satellite launch center is under construction, according to Liang.

The space engineer explained that the new launch center, scheduled to be put into operation in 2014, is close to the Equator, which is good for the saving of rocket fuel, and free from the threat of typhoon despite its geographical location.

As the core stage of the new jumbo rocket has a diameter up to five meters, it is very difficult to transport the rocket by rail or by road to China's three existing satellite launch centers, respectively in Xichang, Jiuquan and Taiyuan.

"The best option is to deliver the rocket by sea, with a cargo ship of special design, to the new launch center in Hainan," he concluded.

China currently employs its self-developed Long March 3 series rocket for most space missions. A Long March 3A rocket was used to deliver the country's first lunar probe Chang'e-1 in October 2007.

According to earlier media reports, the Long March 3C carrier rocket, the development of which started in 1994, will have its first launch at the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province.

Since 1996, China has topped the world with a straight record of 61 successful rocket launches, said Liang.

Along those lines, I just recently read that China increased it military spending by 17% for the second year in a row. We still out spend them by a great deal. China currently spend about 59 billion a year. As there economy continues to grow so will there military and technology spending.

If we aren't careful and get our economic house in order we could find ourselves in a very different world in the second half of the 21st century.

China apparently has a very keen interest in fully developing its space-oriented capabilities, in all its incarnations- commercial and military. Of course they've recently demonstrated their ability to shoot things down in space. Now they are demonstrating their ability to put things into orbit.

Never happen...

Along those lines, I just recently read that China increased it military spending by 17% for the second year in a row. We still out spend them by a great deal. China currently spend about 59 billion a year. As there economy continues to grow so will there military and technology spending.

If we aren't careful and get our economic house in order we could find ourselves in a very different world in the second half of the 21st century.

That is get our economic house in order. American companies operate in the I can't see past my nose paradigm. The Chinese look upon this w/ a Sun Tzu view on things. They have a 1000 years to do it, that's their view. They will out buy/bid us in the end. Many American companies invest in China, its cheap labor, and is cheaper to produce goods there than in the states. Couple that w/ the fact that most Americans refuse to do manual labor or work for wages its no wonder that China is having this kind of economic growth. What is even more scary is that we don't even see this. If anyone thinks that American corporations have the best interest f America at heart then I have ocean front property in AZ to sell them. The real issues that need to be addressed by politicians won't be. This country won't go down by an invading Army, that will be a formality; We will give it away because we are too greedy or lazy or both as a country. I just hope I have passed on by then.

That's mighty optimistic of you!:)

We probably could do better at looking at the long term. Culturally, I don't think many Americans are good at thinking long term, especially the more recent generation of adults.

This is the microwave generation. We get frustrated waiting for the microwave popcorn to finish cooking.

I'm not really concerned with China's progression in space yet. We have robots rolling around Mars and they have yet to put one a dude on the moon. I think the US is years ahead of any other country when it comes to space.

I'm not really concerned with China's progression in space yet. We have robots rolling around Mars and they have yet to put one a dude on the moon. I think the US is years ahead of any other country when it comes to space.

I was stationed in Orlando '89-'91. Our apartment balcony faced east toward Canaveral (about 50 miles away). When there was a morning launch, the ex and I could watch the lift-off on TV, then step out on the balcony and watch the shuttle pop up over the trees about three seconds later. Very cool.

I had a CW2 at the time who went and camped out at Cocoa Beach for a launch. He said that it was AMAZING (I don't normally use that word becasue celebs abuse it). But the thing he said that stuck with me was:

"C, when you see it go up, and you feel the rumble in your chest, you know why America is the greatest country in the world."

And this is from a US Army Intelligence Warrant Officer, whose family escaped from Cuba in 1959 - when he was 1.

Back