CI/HUMINT

fox1371

Exitiabilis
Verified Military
I have some questions regarding the application process for CI/HUMINT. I just found out today that I'm going to be going on the board here within a week or so. I don't have the exact date yet. I was merely wondering what type of questions are commonly asked and what all I'm going to need to brush up on. So far the things that I am studying include current events, land nav, and geography. I know that the board will most likely be lengthy and I'm planning on it being quite difficult. I was just curious as to what else I should need to know to help prepare myself. Also, I was wondering what sources you would suggest for current events that wouldn't normally pop up on things such as cnn, fox news, al jazeera etc.

What kind of board? Promotion? Soldier board? Where's your NCO? What's it got to do with CI/HUMINT?

fox1371;245288]I have some questions ............ So far the things that I am studying include current events, land nav, and geography.

You're studying the right stuff, Corporal.....MOS skills will be another main effort on any board...

Like car said, your questions should be addressed by your Squad Leader, Plt Sgt....and on up the CoC...:cool:

:2c:

Car, I apologize for not being more specific. It's a screening board that all applicants for CI/HUMINT must go through to decide whether or not they are right for the MOS. Now as far as bringing it up my chain of command, this is something that I've brought up, however everyone in my unit has little to no knowledge on the subject, and everything that they've been able to find out, I've already found out on my own. I just thought I'd go ahead and ask here, considering this is a community more aimed towards that field.

Car, I apologize for not being more specific. It's a screening board that all applicants for CI/HUMINT must go through to decide whether or not they are right for the MOS. Now as far as bringing it up my chain of command, this is something that I've brought up, however everyone in my unit has little to no knowledge on the subject, and everything that they've been able to find out, I've already found out on my own. I just thought I'd go ahead and ask here, considering this is a community more aimed towards that field.

No need to apologize. I was just curious. I'll see what I can find out.

You will get a battery of questions that have been developed over time that will measure your suitability for that type of work. You can't study...you'll either have an acceptable answer or not. Many of the questions may be situational with an answerr that requires explaing your assessment or actions. Regardless that's not the thing to discuss in an open forum. The process for selecting CI/HUMINT applicants has evolved over the years but has it's roots in the OSS. Good Luck.

Just answer the questions to the best of your ability, truthfully. Also, what ever decision you make, STICK to it.

You are not trained, and are not expected to know details. However, wishy washy answers are never a good thing.

If you make it, you will be moving into a VERY rewarding profession, with many lanes to travel in.

Best of luck to you!!!

Thank you all for your responses. Getting into this job is something that I am passionate about so we'll see how it goes. I honestly don't know what to expect out of this board. From all the research I've done online, it looks like most applicants get some sort of a study guide...unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be recieving one of those haha. No doubt it's due to the fact that I'm doing this in country. Again, I appreciate all of the help.

Marine CI is strictly Tactical and different from Army CI in that regard. As they say "Google is your friend" because There is a LOT of open source information on the Marine CI program out there including a Marine Corps CI Program PDF oddly enough. As far as questions I hope that you are not the sort of person who does not like to read and follow world events because that is key. CI is unique and attracts a different type of personality. I would start reading (as opposed to watching news programs) the local paper if you don't already and read a paper like the USA Today, NY Times or Christian Science Monitor for "the big picture" weekly. Subscribe to magazines like US News & World report and Time (they are tax write offs anyway). Keeping up with the World's events is key and everyone that I know reads several papers daily. Even as Reservists when we get together we discuss current events and any implications on the Intelligence Community.
Other than that, CI has changed to bring in more experienced personnel in both the Corps and Army. It is no longer an entry Level MOS and by E-5 you should have the Common Soldier Skills sort of things down pat, and the maturity to analyze/converse about local and world events in a constructive manner. Read all you can! There will be a lot of reading, briefing (everyone from enlisted to General Officers) and report writing in your future.

A few years ago, I was contemplating career choices and I met with a MGySgt with CI. I was told up front that USMC CI has quite possibly the absolute highest operational tempo of any unit in the Corps. I met him during peace time, and at that time they were deployed 11 mos. out of the year on average. The advice given to me was to "have your personal life in order". Just FYI.

I appreciate all of the imformation from you guys. I have a few more roadblocks to overcome and then hopefully I'll get my shot at it. I love deploying and there aren't any personal issues in my life, not really attached to anything back home. Just out of curiosity, how much weight do your chain of command remarks have against you? For example, as soon as my COC found out what I wanted to do, then started throwing roadblocks at me and now are saying that they'll write in the remarks that I can't work alone...and that I need to be supervised. However my previous chain of command, working with "gentlemen" of your stature...I always worked on my own or with one other and NEVER needed supervision, always got the job done. I haven't been able to excell as well in the current environment that I'm in...however I still do my job. I just don't have the support from my company for this job change.

I appreciate all of the imformation from you guys. I have a few more roadblocks to overcome and then hopefully I'll get my shot at it. I love deploying and there aren't any personal issues in my life, not really attached to anything back home. Just out of curiosity, how much weight do your chain of command remarks have against you? For example, as soon as my COC found out what I wanted to do, then started throwing roadblocks at me and now are saying that they'll write in the remarks that I can't work alone...and that I need to be supervised. However my previous chain of command, working with "gentlemen" of your stature...I always worked on my own or with one other and NEVER needed supervision, always got the job done. I haven't been able to excell as well in the current environment that I'm in...however I still do my job. I just don't have the support from my company for this job change.

Why not? I have only very rarely seen a command NOT recommend a good Marine for something when he is worthy. Not saying it's impossible, as I've seen commands throw some pretty petty shit out there when they want to keep a Marine. I've also seen some dirtbags state "everyone hates me" as an excuse (not saying that's what you're doing, just saying). Has anything specific happened that leads your current command to write these comments? Have you been counseled about your performance or conduct outside your seeking a new job? Have you talked to your senior enlisted leaders to ask these questions?

The comments can have a big influence, depending on how they're written and how you present yourself. If they're poorly written or the COC comments portray you as a jackass when you don't appear to be one in front of the board, they MAY be disregarded. But I wouldn't count on it. I've even gotten calls about Marines that worked for me in the past, asking if I would recommend them for job XXX, how was their performance, would I work with them again, etc. If your appearance in front of the board/interviewer doesn't line up with what's written about you, they may call a few people & ask questions.

I understand you questioning my statement completely, I would do the same. I'm constantly stepping outside myself to try and figure it out and I just can't. I won't say that everybody hates me because it's not true. I still have the respect of the other NCO's and the Marines in my platoon, and the rest of the Battalion. Some of the NCO's are saying I should request mast, because they don't like what they see happening. Now I don't know if it's just me being naive or not but I strongly believe that my SNCO's are messed up in the way they do some things. They've all earned a horrible reputation in my battalion and still carry on like their shit doesn't stink. I will say that I have made my share of mistakes, nothing major, but things that I did and learned from. My record was crystal clean up until I informed them of my intentions of making a lat move. About 3 days later I received a counseling sheet. I won't air to much dirty laundry on an open post like this, I don't feel it appropriate. However if you would like to know more...PM me and I'll talk about it.

I'm all about playing the cards you get dealt. However right now I feel like I'm at a stand still when I can see what I need to do. Everything is in order and ready to be put through, but I'm just not sure if I should. I'm passionate about this lat move and I'm going to do it, I'm just not sure when would be the best time. I have no idea what to do and I've attempted on getting guidance from the Marines above me, however it's like everytime I talk to them, they answer a question without answering the question.

I understand you questioning my statement completely, I would do the same. I'm constantly stepping outside myself to try and figure it out and I just can't. I won't say that everybody hates me because it's not true. I still have the respect of the other NCO's and the Marines in my platoon, and the rest of the Battalion. Some of the NCO's are saying I should request mast, because they don't like what they see happening. Now I don't know if it's just me being naive or not but I strongly believe that my SNCO's are messed up in the way they do some things. They've all earned a horrible reputation in my battalion and still carry on like their shit doesn't stink. I will say that I have made my share of mistakes, nothing major, but things that I did and learned from. My record was crystal clean up until I informed them of my intentions of making a lat move. About 3 days later I received a counseling sheet. I won't air to much dirty laundry on an open post like this, I don't feel it appropriate. However if you would like to know more...PM me and I'll talk about it.

I'm all about playing the cards you get dealt. However right now I feel like I'm at a stand still when I can see what I need to do. Everything is in order and ready to be put through, but I'm just not sure if I should. I'm passionate about this lat move and I'm going to do it, I'm just not sure when would be the best time. I have no idea what to do and I've attempted on getting guidance from the Marines above me, however it's like everytime I talk to them, they answer a question without answering the question.

Well...

You may not want to hear what I have to say and if you want to withdraw your friend request, go ahead :D, but...

The things I've bolded above make me curious because they are the typical things said by "problem children". Every SNCO in your COC has a horrible reputation?!? I'm not going to stand here on a high horse and say there's no such thing as a f'd up SNCO (especially since I've known plenty of them...), but all of them? If the SNCOs that you work for are that bad, maybe you do need to go the request mast route to ensure the CO/Sgt Maj know what's going on. If the NCOs feel this strongly, why aren't THEY requesting mast?

Have you talked to any of the SNCOs around you that aren't in your COC? I know very few of my former peers that wouldn't take the time to sit down with a cup of coffee and talk a young Marine through his problems. I've done it many times myself. And I've been able to either help the Marine understand what is going on OR pointed him in the direction to fix his problem OR had a chat with the Sgt Maj to make sure he knows what's going on.

I'll listen to whatever it is you have to say. I look at it as constructive criticism. Haha I'll keep the friend request there, and will leave it up to you whether or not you accept it.

I have sat down and discussed these things with other SNCO's and the response that I get is that they sympathize with what is happening...and it's my career and that I should submit the package anyways. Now I didn't/won't say that I have messed up SNCO's, but that some of their actions are messed up. I still respect my superiors, they've been around the block and I'm still just a Corporal. I really do love the Marine Corps and I'd like to stay in, however I'm just not happy where I'm at right now. I'm just weighing the pros and cons of my actions right now with this lat move package. I'm sure that I could get it submitted, but how much shit would I stirr doing so...and what will the ripple effect of that be when it concerns to lat move itself.

I'm rolling into the IZ soon, Senior HUMINT guy on ground. If you get into the Taji area, drop me a line. We will link up and I will give you a look around the shop.

Best of luck with your plans Brother... PM me if you have any specific questions. I'm Army, but it's basically all the same mission. I can say this... the CI billets in the Corps are the shit. Dual trained, and I can't say enough good things about them. One of my closest friends on the planet is a CI Gunny out of San Diego... Arabic speaker as well.

Just know, there are a few of us on here that can steer you in the right direction. Just ask.

GSX Out.

GSX...

U at Taji currently? Had the pleasure of spending some time in that DUMP in 06! (Over at Phoenix w/ COIN)...

Only good thing was the Wisconsin NG folks on the gate. };^)

Stay safe...

GSX...

U at Taji currently? Had the pleasure of spending some time in that DUMP in 06! (Over at Phoenix w/ COIN)...

Only good thing was the Wisconsin NG folks on the gate. };^)

Stay safe...

It's a dump alright... the uniform rules are GAY as hell over here. Never seen anything like it. I will be on JSS Istiqlal shortly... talk about a DUMP!!!

I'm rolling into the IZ soon, Senior HUMINT guy on ground. If you get into the Taji area, drop me a line. We will link up and I will give you a look around the shop.

Best of luck with your plans Brother... PM me if you have any specific questions. I'm Army, but it's basically all the same mission. I can say this... the CI billets in the Corps are the shit. Dual trained, and I can't say enough good things about them. One of my closest friends on the planet is a CI Gunny out of San Diego... Arabic speaker as well.

Just know, there are a few of us on here that can steer you in the right direction. Just ask.

GSX Out.

I appreciate the offer...unfortunately I won't be to close to that area anytime soon. I'll be out of here in a little while...still got some time left but not much. I'm in Al Taqaddum and I don't have any idea how I would get myself up to Taji haha. I would love to though if I could. Thanks for the support...I'm working on finding a way through all of this shit right now and then hopefully I'll be in your shoes one of these days.

Back