Clear something up

Ravage

running up that hill
Sand Man
While I was back home last week I met this guy who claimed to be US ex-mil. He married a cousin of mine a few years back when they met in Saudi Arabia. He has a business there in SA and his stepsons (my nephews) say he runs a store that sells ice water and ice blocks. His name is Bernie. He's about 5'4", wears glasses, has a mustache, built like a spark plug and walks with a limp.

He claimed to be airborne but didn't specify if he was 82nd or 101st (only 2 numbers that I can associate the word "airborne" with). He also claimed he and his unit participated in Urgent Fury and Just Cause.

But he also claimed to have participated in Gothic Serpent. Any truth to this? All I've ever read on here and in other sites were that the only troops who had a hand in this Op were Delta, Rangers, SOAR, SEALs, and some PJs.

Thanks.

Could this guy be the real deal ?

Could this guy be the real deal ?

Could be under a few circumstances:

If he was an old scroller in one of the Ranger Battalions (either 1st or 2nd) in 1983 (Urgent Fury)

Was still assigned to the Ranger Regiment in 1989 (Opn Just Cause)

Was still assigned to 3rd Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment (Bco to be exact or sliced to Bco for the op) for Somalia (Gothic Serpent)

Or:

82nd for Urgent Fury

82nd for Just Cause

the 82nd were not involved in Gothic Serpent

Or........................he could have been involved in that OTHER unit that also participated in the 3 as well.

There's a couple of more possibilities.

One interesting note is I know of no one who was assigned to the RR and stated they were in an airborne unit and leave it at that unless they were extremely low key or posing.

If your sand man buddy is still in contact with him, he'd have to ask some additional questions in order to get a better fix.

Not really enough info there Ravage to make a determination.

my guess is one of the following:
a) he's straight up lying
b) he was 82nd for Urgent Fury and Just cause, then got onto Delta just in time for Gothic Serpent...thats really the only way i can see it happening, and im not sure how many guys from the 82nd get to Delta...it was my impression that most of the guys that pass selection come from 75th Ranger or Special Forces...but i guess anything is possible

a) he's straight up lying
b) he was 82nd for Urgent Fury and Just cause, then got onto Delta just in time for Gothic Serpent...thats really the only way i can see it happening, and im not sure how many guys from the 82nd get to Delta...it was my impression that most of the guys that pass selection come from 75th Ranger or Special Forces...but i guess anything is possible

And you know all this how?

Don't talk about things like this that you have no experience about.

Thank you.

I know a Bernie who fits that description and served in in all three engagements mentioned. Ask Sandman if he knows where he works?

If it is who I am thinking, he is a warrior despite his appearance now.

Stop guessing. You should go back to learning and admiring and not talk out of your ass. It is apparent you are woefully out of your depth in this conversation.

Crip

Bison:

It is possible to make it through Delta selection coming from the 82nd Airborne. We had two individuals go through selection and one made it through and was also approved to stay after his board review. He was a 13F1P that had spent his first 5-6 years with the Ranger Regiment, then assigned to 82nd Airborne, then somehow was granted a slot to selection. He remained there for 12 years completing 20 years of service. The caveat being, that he was prior SOF with the Ranger Regiment before being assigned to the 82nd Airborne Div.

I still talk to him today. In fact I'm going to Atlanta to see Van Halen with him Febuary 10th.

I like Your taste in music :)

I'll talk to SandMan and ask him for more details, thanks everybody and everyone.

I guess it comes with old age. Diamond Dave is with them, but Wolfgang Van Halen is on the bass.......................:uhh:

Hiya, guys. Dunno if Ravage was able to pass this on but I learned that the guy was ex-SOAR.

Thanks all, and to Ravage, for helping out. Cheers...

FYI........You can be a mechanic from 5th ID, or an X-Ray tech from Womack on Bragg and make it. :cool:

It's the molding thereafter that counts.

Old habits are hard to break, new habits are easy to teach. ;);)

Back