CMMG decent quality lower?

A

arizonaguide

I've got an option to get a CMMG lower at a discounted price. ($115)
Are they worth a damn?

It's a striped lower, so I can fill it with whatever (quality) guts I want, right?

I've got a few CMMG lowers and they are built well and seem to be mil-spec or damn close.

I put Colt, RRA and DPMS parts (all from Brownells) in the CMMG lower, but I've got Geissele triggers...

Yes they're good lowers

I've got a few CMMG lowers and they are built well and seem to be mil-spec or damn close.

I put Colt, RRA and DPMS parts (all from Brownells) in the CMMG lower, but I've got Geissele triggers...

Yes they're good lowers

I totally agree with koz as well.

However, they have a tendency to take a bit to get what you ordered to you. Now, I am referring to pre-Obama election, not now, because everyone is back ordered.

I would definitely put them up against everyone else's though.

Their good to go.

I'm fairly certain they don't have Colt large hammer and trigger pin holes, so anything ordered from RRA or Brownells will fit.

Their good to go.

I'm fairly certain they don't have Colt large hammer and trigger pin holes, so anything ordered from RRA or Brownells will fit.

That's correct - small hammer/trigger holes. I guess I should have clarified that the colt parts I bought were things like bolt release, mag release, etc... and only b/c they were out of DPMS/RRA parts.

On a side note, the RRA Star Safetly selector - (739-000-007) is pretty nice and I've got them in my CMMG's

Ok back to the thread:cool:

I totally agree with koz as well.

However, they have a tendency to take a bit to get what you ordered to you. Now, I am referring to pre-Obama election, not now, because everyone is back ordered.

I would definitely put them up against everyone else's though.

Also Brownell's has CMMG lowers in stock as of now.. Their mil/le price is pretty good.

That's correct - small hammer/trigger holes. I guess I should have clarified that the colt parts I bought were things like bolt release, mag release, etc... and only b/c they were out of DPMS/RRA parts.

On a side note, the RRA Star Safetly selector - (739-000-007) is pretty nice and I've got them in my CMMG's

Ok back to the thread:cool:

I just recently became a fan of the Star safey selector and ordered 4 of them for my rifles.

X2

Okay, so I'm going to start on this CMMG Lower receiver, and I'm wondering if I should be getting the "standard" parts kit package ($99), or should this be something that I start putting special "guts" into right away. I'm looking at pretty much of a "minimalist" type setup (yes read that "cheap bastard") but I don't want to get a POS setup. I'm NOT looking at this to be "sniper accuracy" but a decent "urban" weapon (out to 350yds +/-), and will probably end up with a 16"+ (maybe more) barrel. Any words of wisdom? What are the smart moves from here. (or, is quality on a limited budget even possible?).

Okay, so I'm going to start on this CMMG Lower receiver, and I'm wondering if I should be getting the "standard" parts kit package ($99), or should this be something that I start putting special "guts" into right away. I'm looking at pretty much of a "minimalist" type setup (yes read that "cheap bastard") but I don't want to get a POS setup. I'm NOT looking at this to be "sniper accuracy" but a decent "urban" weapon (out to 350yds +/-), and will probably end up with a 16"+ (maybe more) barrel. Any words of wisdom? What are the smart moves from here. (or, is quality on a limited budget even possible?).

You could order your parts kit from RRA. If you want a two stage their NM 2 stage is decent, but Jewel or Geisele are the more opted for NM type adjustable triggers. They are more expensive than a single stage trigger.

You can also go to Brownells and order a complete parts kit also. Their all about the same in quality. IMHO.

What type of stock ? A2 or Carbine retractable ?? This will require different parts from each other. Personally I'd go with Mil-Spec extension with a 5 or 6position retractable. You can slide on a high speed SOPMOD or EMOD stock. UBR stock etc. It's my personal preference even with a longer range setup.

Thanks 82. I was (originally) going to go with a "plain" A2 style, for sentimental reasons. But, I picked up a complete older A2 weapon for $688 (my cost) so that takes care of that.

So, now I can kinda do whatever I want for this one, but still want a pretty "basic" carbine style with retractable stock. I'll put a scope on the other (longer barrel), so this CARBINE setup will end up with a shorter (16"+ I think is my civilian minimum) barrel and just a RedDot of some kind.
This will be pretty much a "shorter range" (<350yd "urban" type "close quarters" setup).

That's good to know about the different parts kit based on the stock choice.
I didn't know that effected the Lower parts choices.
I haven't had an AR (dissassembled) in my hands since 10+ years ago in the USAF, so I'm pretty much of an M4 virgin, and clueless to the ways of the carbine (and vague on the AR in general).

But, I gotta do this while it's still "legal", so, Shadowspear is my guide for this project, and I'll go with pretty much whatever you folks advise (on the limited budget). Brownells (or RRA) sounds like the easiest way to start off, since we are STILL waiting for parts kits at work, maybe they're quicker. I'm sure LOTSA folks are doing this same project right now...so I should just get one ordered, I guess.

We have a "$29 repair kit" in stock, but it looks like it doesn't include the "trigger assembly" so I wonder if I should just go ahead and get that, and order a better trigger setup? This is all new territory for me...so I'm kinda stumbling around a bit.
But, I also don't want to be too much of a pain in the ass.

Thanks for any help folks. It's appreciated.

Call Bill Springfield www.triggerwork.net and he'll lighten a normal trigger up for pretty cheap. I've got one of his triggers and it's better than the standard GI.. You can also buy a trigger from him.

I really like the Magpul MOE grip and stock. The MIAD and CTR are nicer but much more expensive. Get the enhanced trigger guard. I think the Geissele trigger is the best out there, it's just expensive. The SSA is a non-adjustable but a great two stage. They're really hard to find. After that I like the Hi-Speed DMR. You'll never want another trigger after a Geissele.

So you want to buy an AR ???

This has been around for a while now but I don't think it's been posted here.

Arizoneguide: This is great reading and it is lengthy but worth your time and for others that are looking to build their knowledge base of the AR/15/M16/M4 platform. You'll see that the author is a fan of the CMMG product and he has some of the best information put together in one piece with lot's of pictures and accessory products that he rec's for your build or purchase.

HERE: http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

Without even looking, that's J-somebody over at O-com, huh?
That is one of the best threads EVER on the AR...I do need to read that.
Thanks, Bro. Good stuff.

Jwise! Yup, great thread that one. Fantastic link, 82!
Since I've got the other AR to make NICE!
This one will be my short range "CQB/Household/cave style thrasher" beat-to-shit-and-don't-worry-about-it gun.

Sorta like the other a "Kimber" and this one a "glock", if that makes sense...(in AR language). Notice I forgot to capitalize glock. ;)

In reviewing the basic AR operation for my attempt to build out this lower, I ran across these. Probably "old hat" for most of you, but WTF..I thought it was cool.

CLICK HERE for video from the BUSHMASTER SITE, or:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZipq6D6D9k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZipq6D6D9k[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eemyE2JQ5W4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eemyE2JQ5W4&feature=related[/ame]

Here's how I'd build it for a lightweight "Glock" AR... :D

Starting from butt-stock:

Magpul CTR or MOE stock.
Mil Spec buffer tube.
H1 or H2 buffer.
Magpul MIAD or MOE grip. (If you get the MIAD, you can get the full kit with the built in trigger guard. )
Geissele SSA trigger
basic LPK parts except for the RRA star selector - from Brownells
14.5 M4 barrel - if you can find one or Bravo co 16"
YHM Light Weight Free Float forearm or the VTAC handguard.
YHM Solid A2 Rear Sight
Your choice of either standard A2 front sight or flip up front sight.
You could put a low profile gas block for the 14.5" carbine and get a mid length forearm...

But it's your baby...

Things that are non negotiable in my AR builds:

1. 4150 Mil Spec barrels with 1/7 twist. Even better is M249 grade barrels with 249 chrome lining. (Noveske N4 uppers and barrels) Stainless Steel is great but there is a weigtht trade off with a heavy stainless barrel. The 4150 CMV is preferred over Chrome moly commercial barrels.

2. Large M4 cut feed ramps.

3. NATO 556 chamber. .223 is fine but if your going to battle and NATO ammunition is only available your shit out of luck with a .223 only chambered barrel.

4. HPT and MPI tested parts. Barrels and BCG groups.

5. 7075 grade recievers. I'm just picky that way.

6. Carbine gas system is fine but if I can improve it with a 9" mid length I'm going to save the wear and tear on my system.

7. Free Float rail system. No two piece systems for me, unless it's the DD Omega rail, which a free float in a two piece system.

8. High quality optics and mounts. No cheap knock offs from Wal Mart or Meirs. Read "Tasco"

9. A3 flat top upper recievers. Self explanatory.

3. NATO 556 chamber. .223 is fine but if your going to battle and NATO ammunition is only available your shit out of luck with a .223 only chambered barrel.

So, 5.56 is the more "forgiving"? In other words chambered in 5.56 will usually shoot .223, but not the other way around, correct?

8. High quality optics and mounts. No cheap knock offs from Wal Mart or Meirs. Read "Tasco"
Is this a mandatory $500 item (aimpoint/eotech), or are there somewhat less expensive options that are still viable/quality? Thanks 82.

Koz said:
14.5 M4 barrel - if you can find one or Bravo co 16"
Pretty sure I'm limited to the 16" minimum length in Arizona, but I will verify that. Thanks Koz.

I appreciate the guidance, and appologize if somewhat basic knowlege/pain in the ass.
:2c:

I know we had a thread somewhere about working on an M4, but this one is excellent.

Keep tracking gents, this is some good shit.

Is this a mandatory $500 item (aimpoint/eotech), or are there somewhat less expensive options that are still viable/quality? Thanks 82.

Pretty sure I'm limited to the 16" minimum length in Arizona, but I will verify that. Thanks Koz.

I appreciate the guidance, and appologize if somewhat basic knowlege/pain in the ass.
:2c:

The optic - I LOVE LOVE my Aimpoint T-1. It's expensive. But for a KISS rifle you can just say with irons - get an optic when you can afford it. Just my opinion- with optics, spend a little now, you'll spend a lot later. I've got an EO-Tech, Trijicon reflex, Leupold CQT, Aimpoint M68, and an Aimpoint T-1 sitting in my safe. I'll pick the T-1 every time. I've got one of the Sig optics heading my way in a couple weeks - it's about the same size as the T-1. I'll let you know what I think. Aimpoint is also making another optic (I think H-1) which doesn't have the night vision setting but is a cheaper.

Barrels - 16" is a federal NFA thing, not just AZ. But you get a 14.5 with a YHM, Surefire, PWS, etc.. flash hider and pin it - you've got a 16" total length. We can talk about this later if need be. Google weld and pin flash hiders and there's lots of info about it.

You're not being a pain in the ass. I can talk guns with anyone -

Back