College entrance "scandal"

I saw an article on Fox that the lawsuits by people who didn’t get admitted have already begun.

I hope that this ends up forcing schools to take a hard look at the totalitybodntheir admissions practices, including legacies, race-based admissions, athletic waivers, the while deal.

A great point that was raised in all of this is that if these prestigious, elitist institutions are so academically rigorous, then how did unqualified/underqualified cake-eaters manage to stay enrolled, and in some cases, GRADUATE? Could it be that the myth of superior academic rigor at Ivy League schools is an oft-repeated yet inaccurate myth and that these top-tier schools are not so academically challenging after all?

As a state school graduate, I don't want to say I hope so, but I hope so. #MakeStateSchoolGreatAgain

If this investigation had say under 50 agents involved in it, I'd probably be like, ok, sure and what not.
A great point that was raised in all of this is that if these prestigious, elitist institutions are so academically rigorous, then how did unqualified/underqualified cake-eaters manage to stay enrolled, and in some cases, GRADUATE? Could it be that the myth of superior academic rigor at Ivy League schools is an oft-repeated yet inaccurate myth and that these top-tier schools are not so academically challenging after all?

As a state school graduate, I don't want to say I hope so, but I hope so. #MakeStateSchoolGreatAgain
Just because it's hard to get in doesn't mean it's any harder...

Mean girls at USC.

Lori Loughlin’s daughters reportedly have no plans of returning to the University of Southern California over fear of bullying after the actress’ arrest in the national college admissions scam.

Sources close to both daughters, 19-year-old Olivia Jade and 20-year-old Isabella Giannulli, said that neither of the girls will be returning to school for fear of being “viciously bullied,” according to TMZ on Thursday.

When you pay $250K to forge an athletic history and change ACT scores but you still have to tell people your kid goes to USC. Why not set that bar a little higher. :ROFLMAO:26920

Last edited:

The hard part is getting in, not staying in. I am in my second masters program, the first at a top-5/10 private institution, my current one at a mid-level state school. Although two separate programs, I would say the difficulty and amount of work is about equal. The Ivys and top-tier schools, what they get you is accessibility and influence.

The hard part is getting in, not staying in. I am in my second masters program, the first at a top-5/10 private institution, my current one at a mid-level state school. Although two separate programs, I would say the difficulty and amount of work is about equal. The Ivys and top-tier schools, what they get you is accessibility and influence.

Yeah, I was sort of leading the witness with those questions, because what you've said is undeniably true, and anyone with a brain can pretty easily come to that conclusion. Especially in our business, is the Naval Academy or Princeton grad any more capable than the Ohio State or Texas A&M grad (though the A&M grad will certainly be the most obnoxious about his alma mater)? Of course not. They're all 2ndLts who have to figure it out the hard way. There's no standardized testing as a platoon commander for which you can study all night and day and get a 100%. But when it comes time to transition (careers, not genders) the former have an undeniable advantage, probably due to either the prestige/shock factor or alumni network, or a combination of the two.

I've known Community College grads who I would pick to be on my team every day of the week, and Harvard grads who were so infatuated with their own intelligence that they didn't even care to know their Marines' names. And vice versa. Not to mention degree program. In no universe is chemical engineering at the University of Georgia easier or less meaningful than a Philosophy degree from Yale (obviously). But I'd be interested to see a study comparing like-degree programs from a state school and a top 10 Ivy. I'm not sure what they would "measure" in terms of actual career field effectiveness, but I'm sure it could be done. Or even just interviews with Fortune 500 CEOs to see if the recruiting factors actually translate over to success factors once those individuals are hired.

Disclaimer: I barely passed state college so if you're thinking I'm just a dumb, bitter, liberal-arts-degree holder that just needed a piece of paper in order to commission, you're probably not ENTIRELY wrong.

Yeah, I was sort of leading the witness with those questions, because what you've said is undeniably true, and anyone with a brain can pretty easily come to that conclusion. Especially in our business, is the Naval Academy or Princeton grad any more capable than the Ohio State or Texas A&M grad (though the A&M grad will certainly be the most obnoxious about his alma mater)? Of course not. They're all 2ndLts who have to figure it out the hard way. There's no standardized testing as a platoon commander for which you can study all night and day and get a 100%. But when it comes time to transition (careers, not genders) the former have an undeniable advantage, probably due to either the prestige/shock factor or alumni network, or a combination of the two.

I've known Community College grads who I would pick to be on my team every day of the week, and Harvard grads who were so infatuated with their own intelligence that they didn't even care to know their Marines' names. And vice versa. Not to mention degree program. In no universe is chemical engineering at the University of Georgia easier or less meaningful than a Philosophy degree from Yale (obviously). But I'd be interested to see a study comparing like-degree programs from a state school and a top 10 Ivy. I'm not sure what they would "measure" in terms of actual career field effectiveness, but I'm sure it could be done. Or even just interviews with Fortune 500 CEOs to see if the recruiting factors actually translate over to success factors once those individuals are hired.

Disclaimer: I barely passed state college so if you're thinking I'm just a dumb, bitter, liberal-arts-degree holder that just needed a piece of paper in order to commission, you're probably not ENTIRELY wrong.

You bring up several salient points ('salient' I learned in private college). Comparing some degree programs head-to-head there are qualitative and quantitative differences: a MBA from Duke or UNC-CH or Wharton at UPenn is better than a MBA from Southeast Missouri State College (I made that up, I hope there really isn't one that I am denigrating. BTW, 'denigrating' I learned in a state college). The same material, sure, but profs who usually have been there, done that. But you are also buying access and influence: those people and the alumni networks set you up for a higher likelihood of success as you mention. But not all programs can be compared: I am sure a history degree is a history degree is a history degree regardless of where one graduated. Sure is true with nursing and political science (two of my undergrad degrees).

ROTC is a different animal because every program is exactly the same. But I acknowledge differences with the culture that can impact the quality of the soldier/sailor. NC State has an outstanding ROTC culture, as does TA&M, better than some private school counterparts.

Working where I work I get all sorts of uppity fuckers who hang their hats on the prestige of their alma mater, and I have no problem--zero--telling them that in spite of their well-heeled academic pedigree they are still dumb fuckers who can't think their way out of bathroom stall.

That’s one of the many dirty little secrets of this whole thing. It is only hard to get into these types of schools, it is not hard at all to stay there. In fact the entire system is constructed to get you through. And if you are part of a favored demographic, there are even more programs to get you through. Grade inflation is rampant; a B- was considered the “Yale fail.”

I remember being all bent out of shape with my son because he was skipping taking his SAT so that he could participate in a trip with the DEP he was going to be signing with. He was still in High School and we already had paid for the test and would have to pay a rescheduling penalty or something if he did not take the SAT as scheduled if I recall correctly. Regardless he refused to miss this DEP trip as they were going to The National Museum of the United States Marine Corps and it was considered mandatory. My son's recruiter said he would be excused if he wanted to take the SAT but that did not fly with my son. Looking back I was so apprehensive for him not to have an SAT score on his record because I was still hung up on him possibly attending college if for some reason he would be unable to get in the Marine Corps as he had not yet gone to MEPS. Watching this current college scandal mess just underscores to me how much smarter my kids are than I am. Matt served in the Marines, and is now following his brother into the IBEW to be a journeyman electrician. Both of them are making bank and don't owe any education loans whatsoever.
It's sad to me that these people that blew all this money to cheat their kids into colleges, I think dont see their children the same way I see mine. They have "accessories". I have sons that I am proud of because they swam against the flow of the system and I respect what they have become by their own choice. I dont think these cheating parents have enough money to buy that.

I don’t think you’re making the case you think you’re making. Rich people “think” they can do whatever they want because they can afford to buy their way out of a jam.

Fuck the rich who fuck the unrich. (Graduated from junor college)

I'm not sure what you mean. Elite schools is the great leavener of opportunity in the US. They open the doors to the levers of power in business, education, politics, and the media.

I think some people don’t appreciate what a big deal this is because they don’t realize how life-changing it can be to go to one of these schools. The resources and opportunities afforded by some of these institutions put theor graduates on a path not just to the middle class, but to the upper strata of the upper class.

Look at the people who run this country and look at where they went to school.

This must really piss you off. I know you earned your place in grad school. Knowing that some people got in for a donation.... hmmm.

So I take it in general your approach to law enforcement is "don't do it"? My point is, the cost is irrelevant since it's budgeted for anyway. Where is the line drawn as to what is "worth" it (in a financial sense) to you?

Law enforcement—the use of government power to enforce the laws enacted by and for the public through their democratically elected representatives—should never, ever care about what it costs to arrest or prosecute someone.

With respect, if you haven’t attended an Ivy perhaps your understanding of the academic rigor may not be completely accurate.

Back