Color Battle of Britain Photos

Great find Free!

Makes me think about our 9/11 events in comparison to the carnage and rubble of WW II. Folks in Europe, both sides of the conflict, faced daily 9/11 for a few years.

For me, it begs the question of, Are we more amazed the way things change, or the way things stay the same??

RF 1

Great pix. Colour for that period is unusual too. Makes me wonder with that level of damage what some guys with backpacks thought they could achieve.

Really great pics, amazing!
There is still damage to be seen in London and other parts of the UK. There are a lot of bombed out churches around which I found interesting. I was told that for some reason churches were left as is if they were bombed.
I even saw bomb damage from WWI raids, which was either from bombers or zeppelins.

Really great pics, amazing!
There is still damage to be seen in London and other parts of the UK. There are a lot of bombed out churches around which I found interesting. I was told that for some reason churches were left as is if they were bombed.
I even saw bomb damage from WWI raids, which was either from bombers or zeppelins.

When at my Grandmothers we would go into the woods behind her house and play in the remains of bomb craters left by a stick of bomb dropped before they hit London. My Grandfather work on the docks during the "Blitz" in London.

Great pics and thanks for the "proper" spelling. ;)

With all the destruction I've seen personally in recent years, natural and man made; the carnage that was created during WWI and WWII always puts me in a state of awe.

Thanks for posting that up for us Free. Really illustrates the fortitude and resiliency of the British people during WWII.

If I'm to be pedantic, these photos (which are very interesting as they don't look to be the usual colourised, touched up WW2 colour photos) are from the Blitz, not the Battle of Britain. They're interconnected events but not the same thing.

Dublin, North Strand Bombings.

On the night of 31 May 1941, four high-explosive bombs were dropped by German aircraft on the North Strand area of Dublin City. The casualties were many: 34 dead and 90 injured, with 300 houses damaged or destroyed.

http://northstrandbombing.wordpress.com/photographic-collection/

Why the fuck would they do that? Makes no strategic sense.

I watched an old movie once about British and German airman who crashed and were interred for the duration in Ireland.
An interesting piece of history not well know to the world.

Back