Combat Controller/STO Killed in Green on Blue Attack

I know I'm late to the thread, but I had the privilege of attending their memorial service down range. I didn't realize until then, when they retired his call sign, that I had previously worked with Capt. Roland.

Both of these men are true Americans and will be missed.

I know I'm late to the thread, but I had the privilege of attending their memorial service down range. I didn't realize until then, when they retired his call sign, that I had previously worked with Capt. Roland.

Both of these men are true Americans and will be missed.
Thank you for this. I am glad you were there for them when we couldn't be.

My charge to you is this- always remember these men. Talk about them, whether you knew them or not. That's how we remember our friends. Raise a teary-eyed toast, share their story in passing. Anything.

Telling their story keeps them in our lives.

I mentioned on the first page of this thread that one of the SF injured is the nephew of a friend from another forum - he has been posting the occasional update on Nick (took a round to the jaw during the attack and is currently at Walter Reed. Forum members have asked about sending care packages, but the only thing the team has been asking for is snuff and k-cups for the Keurig machine - love to send more than that, but if it's coffee and snuff, then it's coffee and snuff. I asked about sending them some 'good' cigars, but they declined - (the smell). It was made known to me that should I make the same offer when they are stateside again...

Here is the most recent update:

Nick asked specifically to thank the forum, and to tell you all that they had 20 packages waiting for them.

He had his major reconstruction surgery Monday. We were up to see him yesterday. He is doing very well. LOTS of pain as they did the bone graft surgery at the same time.

Took a piece of bone from his hip and transplanted it to his jaw, added some steel pieces. His jaw is no longer wired shut, which is a great improvement for him as it makes his speech more understandable.

One more surgery ahead, which is relatively minor, and get rid of the "trake" which is driving him crazy.

He is still on the feeding tube for nourishment, but that should also some out pretty soon, as his mouth heals up from the surgery.

He asked me to thank everyone here for their prayers, and for supporting the team.

Yes, he will be able to return to normal duty, but it will be a while.

According to the docs, the worst pain will be from his hip where they took the bone for the graft.

His biggest frustration is that it will be so long to get back to the team and back to business.

He was REALLY thrilled to hear about all the packages sent to the team. Another SF guy has been with him for the last couple of days. They drive up from Bragg, with the blessing of the command structure. These guys are truly awesome in their support for each other, and for the families.

Nick's uncle is SO proud of his nephew - I remember when he got ready to head over there once prior, fair to say that the forum members had to give proud uncle a crash course on OPSEC/PERSEC - he is trying to get a pic of the team (heads blurred out) and sounds as if that might be forthcoming.

There was a post on the details of the attack from Nick's perspective, but I am hesitant to post as I am unsure of the rules here of posting such detail -

He was REALLY thrilled to hear about all the packages sent to the team. Another SF guy has been with him for the last couple of days. They drive up from Bragg, with the blessing of the command structure. These guys are truly awesome in their support for each other, and for the families.

The entire SOF community is committed to supporting their injured and fallen brothers, it is a blessing for the guys who get injured.

Back