Combat Rescue Officer, Tips and Information on how to get this position through ROTC?

Spartan117

Unverified
So I'm going to be joining ROTC in January, hopefully and i was wondering how is this whole process going to work to become a combat rescue officer? What is the process of ROTC that will help me become a CRO? what are the basic requirements as far as ACT scores and AFOQT? how can I improve my chances to become a CRO? and thank you guys for your service, i greatly appreciate what you have been doing for this country and hoped you had a great veterans day!

And also- get a name change. Unless that screen name is a fictitious name you thought up. Like Tommy Baltimore or Johnny Football.

Seeing quite a bit of that of late, or so it seems. The time to think of PERSEC, is before something bad happens. People that do not play so nice, are all over the internet.

If the OP ever returns he may wonder "Why are they being so mean to me?" It is simple, actually.

You want to lead troops. You want to be in charge. I understand that. What type of leader are you if you can't/ won't do any research on your own? Overlook something important? Decide to grab anyone nearby and ask their input? Ask your commander for something that is easily found in a manual or regulation? Maybe others will spoon feed you, maybe you were spoon fed your whole life, but if you want to lead troops you have to set the example. You have to demonstrate the behavior you expect from your men.

Besides, would you go into another's home and prop your feet on the table without asking? Maybe that is their custom, maybe not...but would you act like that without knowing?

"Nobody rides for free" and these "lumps" are nothing compared to the path you want to travel.

If the OP ever returns he may wonder "Why are they being so mean to me?" It is simple, actually.

You want to lead troops. You want to be in charge. I understand that. What type of leader are you if you can't/ won't do any research on your own? Overlook something important? Decide to grab anyone nearby and ask their input? Ask your commander for something that is easily found in a manual or regulation? Maybe others will spoon feed you, maybe you were spoon fed your whole life, but if you want to lead troops you have to set the example. You have to demonstrate the behavior you expect from your men.

Besides, would you go into another's home and prop your feet on the table without asking? Maybe that is their custom, maybe not...but would you act like that without knowing?

"Nobody rides for free" and these "lumps" are nothing compared to the path you want to travel.

Whhoa! That's like responsibility and shit! That shit went out with like dinosaurs and jesus and shit right?

Im sorry guys, ill get better

And now I get to stop in as the Grammar Nazi and overall bad, nasty mean NCO... the basic rules for usage, spelling grammar and punctuation in Standard English (American, Canadian, Australian or British) are in effect here.

Also, as a prospective Officer and/or SOF member, these are proof of your attention to detail, respect for others and professionalism; how do you expect others to take you seriously if you cannot communicate fluently in writing in your native tongue? And the tired, hackneyed, overwrought excuse that you are typing on a phone/mobile device WILL NOT work.

Here is a piece of traditional advice for all Combat Arms and SOF personnel... "The maximum effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters, but the damage radius of the blast could encompass your career."

Worry about the targets in your immediate lane of fire inside your effective combat range. Engage the 25 meter (immediate threats) first then worry about the secondaries. Your 25 meter target is getting into ROTC, excelling at that and your studies while keeping physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally fit... anything after that is beyond your scope, and don't even fucking worry about it.

See how I did that, used the language to convey multiple but related ideas in an advancing thesis?

Now.... think about that and how you have performed Swan Lake all over your Johnson so far... and how you can ameliorate the initial bad impression you have given us.

Two posts, two rules broken. GOOD START!

Im sorry guys, ill get better

The irony of this post after the ones above, is inconceivable. (And, yes, the word means what I think it means, Fezzik)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Name change (as stated earlier). Bad guys monitor the net, and having your real name on this (or any other webpage) isn't helpful for your personal security.
2. Grammar, High School may not have prepared your for College. You will be competing just to stay in ROTC. Your instructors will evaluate every aspect of your ROTC "Career"; grades, PT scores, are you in Arnold Air Society, outside (non-ROTC activities), how you interact with cadre, etc.
3. Cadre will rank order the students, but don't get discouraged; half the guys/gals in your Freshman ROTC Class will not be there when your Sophomore Year starts.
4. Enjoy College, but academics are job #1; no degree = no commission, and no commission = no CRO/STO job.
5. Grammar, smart phones and internet "english" are great with your friends. They are not viewed as being professional. Practice your writing skills (I avoid "text speak", even when texting).
6 Start a PT program that uses weights, swimming, running, long fast walks. Look at your diet, healthy or multiple fast food stops each day?
7. Don't worry about the AFOQT, hit Amazon to see if there are any primers if you are worried, but relax take the test and see what you qualify for. The ROTC Cadre know what it takes to get you a shot at Phase I.
8. Enjoy High School, chase women, go to dances, it's your last chance at having fun in school.

Good luck.

The Military Service Academies (i.e., Air Force Academy), ROTC and OTS are commissioning programs and not occupation-vocation entry classification specific training programs. Air Force OTS is a pure Basic Officer Course (Basic Training for Officers) as candidate-students already have the perquisite baccalaureate. The Military Service Academies and ROTC differ in that it provides or augments in providing the academics for award of a baccalaureate while also doing other military studies to include Basic Training for Officers. There is no specific required training other than physical fitness training (maybe) to become a CRO provided by these commissioning programs.

FYI-the CRO entry classification prerequisite qualifications have no connection to ACT/SAT scores, GPA or AFOQT as these only apply to getting accepted into a commissioning program.

Last edited:
Spartan117, I know I'm like a year late on this post so I'm not sure if you are still pursuing CRO. If you are I would definitely talk to the cadre. The cadre at my det are currently trying to set up a mentor/mentee program with some of the guys at Fort Riley. I'm training for CRO and my friend wants to be an ALO, so they are helping us get in contact with the ALOs/TACPs there. If you are near a base I would find out if there are any SOF/Battlefield Airmen there to possibly get in contact with. The TACPs at Fort Riley have been more than willing to work with us.

Spartan117, I know I'm like a year late on this post so I'm not sure if you are still pursuing CRO. If you are I would definitely talk to the cadre. The cadre at my det are currently trying to set up a mentor/mentee program with some of the guys at Fort Riley. I'm training for CRO and my friend wants to be an ALO, so they are helping us get in contact with the ALOs/TACPs there. If you are near a base I would find out if there are any SOF/Battlefield Airmen there to possibly get in contact with. The TACPs at Fort Riley have been more than willing to work with us.

I'm new here so someone can let me know if I am overstepping my bounds but I've been through CRO Phase I & II and can offer my two cents on that alone if you'd like. Feel free to PM me.

I'm new here so someone can let me know if I am overstepping my bounds but I've been through CRO Phase I & II and can offer my two cents on that alone if you'd like. Feel free to PM me.

I think we'd all welcome your experience but you should be vetted beforehand. While vetting is optional, we don't want to be a conduit for potentially wrong or unverified information.

I think we'd all welcome your experience but you should be vetted beforehand. While vetting is optional, we don't want to be a conduit for potentially wrong or unverified information.
Yeah, the issue here is that you may have gone through Phase I and II- have you gone through indoc? Are you at Kirtland or still at your unit, waiting for selection.

I know you may feel as if you have some experience, sir, but you and I know there are many levels to that experience and just because you've been selected doesn't necessarily mean you're the best source.

Back