Common body type in SOF units? Lean or Football player like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote

Verified Military
Verified Military
When I read the Black Hawk Down novel, it talked about how the majority of the D-boys were built like Football players (like MSG Paule Howe for instance). Before reading the novel, I had the impression that SOF guys were more on the lean side rather than big and bulky like football players. Also in photos I've seen of JTF-2 guys, they don't look lean at all and are just big and burly. Is the football player build most common in the CT focused SOF units and the lean build is most common in the UW/DA/SR focused SOF units :confused:?

Sorry if the question seemed kinda dumb, I'm a noob to this stuff... so don't roast:D

I am going to tip toe in here and run like hell after my comment...

Why does it matter? Last I saw, it wasn't a person's body type that got them selected or through any type of training. I'm just sayin'.

Now I am going to watch and see what happens to this thread from a distance.

I am going to tip toe in here and run like hell after my comment...

Why does it matter? Last I saw, it wasn't a person's body type that got them selected or through any type of training. I'm just sayin'.

Now I am going to watch and see what happens to this thread from a distance.

I was just curious because I'd imagine it to be much harder passing BUD/S and related SOF selection with a big and burly body type as apposed to being on the more lean side. I also know it's more mental than physical what gets you through training, but surely the type of body also contributes to it.

Most guys get big after they are in those units. The training to get there isn't conducive to being huge. However there are big guys. SF guys tend to get prison jacked on teams, not in the course.

Didn't see a whole lot of bulky Rangers back in my day. If you did, they were usually on the side of the road puking. No time for the gym when they can run you an extra 3 miles this morning. We went to the gym sometimes, but most personal time if you had any was spent doing 12 ounce curls in some dive bar or day room.

Ive been surprised numerous times when Ive seen some SOF guys. Ive seen guys in far better looking "shape" in regular/pouge units. Which goes to show that appearance/body shape/type is meaningless.

My non SOF .02c

I tend to think that "smaller" guys wouldn't have any longevity with all of the weight carried and things done while carrying said weight. The SF guys in my old BN, one or two were rail-thin types, but most averaged about 5'-9" or 5'-10" and probably 180-190. I can't recall a single Team Sergeant built like a marathon runner.

Maybe things are different or my memory is flawed, but I just don't recall seeing any "low mass" types around.

When you are constantly lacking a high BFI count, it tends to make one look lean even though they might be sporting as much true muscle as someone who is 15 lbs heavier, and heavier looking. Every muscle counted and was use to carrying weight that counted.

I tend to think that "smaller" guys wouldn't have any longevity with all of the weight carried and things done while carrying said weight. The SF guys in my old BN, one or two were rail-thin types, but most averaged about 5'-9" or 5'-10" and probably 180-190. I can't recall a single Team Sergeant built like a marathon runner.

Maybe things are different or my memory is flawed, but I just don't recall seeing any "low mass" types around.

Yet strangely enough there are plenty of marathon types in the SAS. I think the role and training associated with that role have a huge part to play.

I would say in my company the average guy was 5'9-6'2 and 180 to 225. No one was under 180. And maybe one guy was under 5'8. In my team the smallest guy was my senior, and he was the smallest in the company. On my team we had a guy that was 6'5 and 240ish. Not a runner. I have seen some tiny Rangers(BN types) but most guys in group are not small.

Enjoying the view 'from a distance'?

This thread came across as an "airsofter" thread to me. I was going to kick back in a recliner with a bag of popcorn and see where this thread went. It did not go in the direction I was afraid it was going to. These guys and gals are really helpful and laid back. I am used to more "critical" responses.

That, and as a non-SOF person, I want to tread lightly in areas where it may be a gray issue for me to post in. I feel as though this is one of those threads.

Read LimaOscarSierraTango's post

"I am going to tip toe in here and run like hell after my comment...

Now I am going to watch and see what happens to this thread from a distance."

Then I responded with what you said 'What?' to.

This thread came across as an "airsofter" thread to me. I was going to kick back in a recliner with a bag of popcorn and see where this thread went. It did not go in the direction I was afraid it was going to. These guys and gals are really helpful and laid back. I am used to more "critical" responses.

That, and as a non-SOF person, I want to tread lightly in areas where it may be a gray issue for me to post in. I feel as though this is one of those threads.

Oh I see, yeah I'm not an airsofter guy, just curious that's all :p

Edit: Though I do see where you are coming from though.

Interesting. Sigh...I hate being wrong even if it did help to answer the OP. :(

Read LimaOscarSierraTango's post

"I am going to tip toe in here and run like hell after my comment...

Now I am going to watch and see what happens to this thread from a distance."

Then I responded with what you said 'What?' to.

Roger, got it ;)

Some people are big, some people are small. I ranged from 195-235 depending on how much time I spent in the gym. Generally speaking, some of the steakheads had trouble running but most of those guys were steakfat anyway. Most of the guys that steaked out hated running and it just compounded when they'd get in a squad with a steakhead squad leader that hated running too. I personally was 235 benching 290 and leg pressing 750 but still ran a sub 12:30 2 mile on demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back