Crip's Monthly Question

Little quick on the draw there Max - bet your girlfriend is really happy.

NOPE! Now begone.... and don't forget to tune in for next week's episode.

Wife ;)

And I came up with that all on my own, thank you! Even though it was wrong :(

Scopalamine Toxicity is one of the few things that will leave you 'alive' at a GCS of 2 - you have no conciousness of the real world at all and can still be walking or talking without any coherrency of reality.

You mean 3... the lowest possible score in the GCS scale is 3 for no ocular, verbal or motor response.

According to Cornell, symptoms for heavy poisoning but necessarily fatality are:

rapid pulse, rapid breathing, dilated pupils,
restlessness, nervousness, muscular twitching,
polydipsia, frequent urination, diarrhea,
depression, anorexia, weight loss

Argh! It seems so obvious, now, lol! ;)

Im just wondering Do you guys get a chance to work in an Hosp ER for training??

The short answer to your question is yes.

SOCM (Ranger, TF 160, SEAL, and MARSOC) guys have one field rotation where they rotate thru the ER at a Level 1 Trauma Center for 2 weeks and ride with EMS for the same. SF Medics spent time, 24 days to be exact, in either a military hospital/TMC or one of 5 Indian Hospitals, this in addition to the SOCm rotation. The SOC-T rotation focuses, or is meant to, on more clinical medicine as oposed to the trauma in the first rotation. SFMS students rotate from the ER to orthopedics, to pediatrics, anesthesia, and the OR to name a few.

Its a great opportunity to learn to say the least.

Have a very SF day.

Crip

Damn Crip, nice call... I was like jimson what?

I had a few guys on my trauma team in NYC when they were going through SOCM and also at the ISR in the Burn Center. It was funny how the guys all fit the mold for each service; :) great guys, should ahve listened to that 18D hopeful named Brian who was trying to get me to join up then... :(

Where ever you are Brian, stay safe.

Keep the knowledge coming Crip!

...It was funny how the guys all fit the mold for each service...

The young Rangers and the SARC guys were the ones who stood out the most in my SOCM class, as well as the ones with the worst grades. They just never figured out why they had two eyes, two ears, yet only one mouth.

Crip

ok, so what's the plan, cric.

Secure Airway;
Initiate IV;
Ativan or Diazepam (premedication for treatment of fasciculations);
Physostigmine (treatment of acetylcholine toxicity);
NG tube with Activated Charcoal to absorb/lavage whatever is still in the stomach;
treat other injuries as identified; and
EVAC.

Crip

Back