Critter Cookout 12 May

Let me know if you guys decide to do it...is it going to be in Georgia? If so, that is just a skip away for me.

Looks like a pretty cool event. Burning dead animals over a fire is always cause for a celebration.:D

Was there a separate unit that was designated as Mountain Rangers at one point? I'm well aware of the 10th Mountain Division, and one of my bosses was an officer in the 10th SF Gp when they were stationed at Bad Tolz. I know he did a lot of mountaineering and skiing operations when he was assigned to them.

Was there a separate unit that was designated as Mountain Rangers at one point? I'm well aware of the 10th Mountain Division, and one of my bosses was an officer in the 10th SF Gp when they were stationed at Bad Tolz. I know he did a lot of mountaineering and skiing operations when he was assigned to them.

10th Mountain was actually a "mountaineering unit" before being reactivated to what it is present day.

It is no where near the technical expertise unit as a whole as it once was
collectively.

10th SFG was once known as one of the premier SME elements/units in excelling at pretty much everything within TC 90-6-1.

The 172nd in Alaska I believe is now more geared to the Stryker than ground ops. (Rangerpsych is probably more familiar with current status than I am)

I spent time as an NWTC cadre in AK in the 80's, was a mountaineering instructor at MRD, so I got a feel for those knowledgable and proficient in those areas.

The only one left in numbers with that level of training and expertise besides the cadre at NWTC is the 3rd BN 172nd Infantry Regiment (NG) Hq'd at Jericho Vermont.

10th Mountain was actually a "mountaineering unit" before being reactivated to what it is present day.

It is no where near the technical expertise unit as a whole as it once was
collectively.

10th SFG was once known as one of the premier SME elements/units in excelling at pretty much everything within TC 90-6-1.

The 172nd in Alaska I believe is now more geared to the Stryker than ground ops. (Rangerpsych is probably more familiar with current status than I am)

I spent time as an NWTC cadre in AK in the 80's, was a mountaineering instructor at MRD, so I got a feel for those knowledgable and proficient in those areas.

The only one left in numbers with that level of training and expertise besides the cadre at NWTC is the 3rd BN 172nd Infantry Regiment (NG) Hq'd at Jericho Vermont.

I didn't get the complete scoop, but my boss had some interesting missions while assigned to the 10th in the early/mid 70s. He was actually a VP with the parent corp., serving as the GM of our little towing Beta site, and when the weather got really cold, and things were hopping, he came by in one of our alternate utilty vehicles and had me send him calls for jump starts to ease the load on our other drivers.

20 below (with wind chill), and he was loving it. I think for him it brought back memories of being out in the field in Germany when the weather was extreme.

OK, A Ranger Brother is going to hook us up with Maps (Topo,better than the ones we had "wink,Wink")

I will be there the morning of the 11th-leaving the evening of 14th.

Centermass, I Believe you have a Special Reason to be There also.
Anyone else In? from what I hear its a great time!
+ I cant wait to see it from a Different side, (a non smoked Hungry droning student kinda way)

OK, A Ranger Brother is going to hook us up with Maps (Topo,better than the ones we had "wink,Wink")

I will be there the morning of the 11th-leaving the evening of 14th.

Centermass, I Believe you have a Special Reason to be There also.
Anyone else In? from what I hear its a great time!
+ I cant wait to see it from a Different side, (a non smoked Hungry droning student kinda way)

I have been working on getting Randy Williford (1/75, 2/75) a memorial marker for the past 2 years up at MRD.

The only thing holding it up was a complete bio, which is one of the requirements. I had bits and pieces, but not enough.

Finally got to talk with Randy's father last month after not seeing him or talking with him since the funeral 20 years ago.

His father sent the needed remaining information to complete the requirements. It's now a done deal.

I have been asked to speak on behalf of Randy on the 12th and yes, I will be there.

Look forward to seeing you there EAT and if 64PaPa's doing the cooking again, I'll be packing a sack lunch...........:-x

Be nice if blueberry pancakes was on the menu.

To this Day those Pancakes, and the Hot Dogs in FL are the Best Meals I have ever Tasted (in my mind) lol. Where are you staying and for how many Days?

Looking forward to meeting a Man who likes the Smell of Napalm in the Morning,
It should be a Great Time!

They were only good because you got to eat them after starving to death in the field lol

They were only good because you got to eat them after starving to death in the field lol

Compared to the crunchy roadkill scraped up off of 9 mile road and thrown into a pot, believe me, I'll take the pancakes.

EAT, I'll only be there for the day.

Get up with Purdue. He's got my number. Tell him you have a permission slip. :D

It is very cool when you get to meet some of the older generation who've served in much the same capacity.

My way of thinking is that it doesn't matter about all the differences and changes that occur generation to generation, hardship and tough conditions is your common denominator.

Although I'd draw the line at roadkill stew. I'd pull a Ewell Gibbons and go foraging for pine cones or something.:D

Actually, I'll bet it's delicious when you're really hungry

Compared to the crunchy roadkill scraped up off of 9 mile road and thrown into a pot, believe me, I'll take the pancakes.

EAT, I'll only be there for the day.

Get up with Purdue. He's got my number. Tell him you have a permission slip. :D

I told him what you said, and he looked at me like a had a Dick growing out of my Head. I'll see him again this weekend. Should I try Again LOL:doh:

If your flight plans take you through DFW, be sure to say...maybe we could meet up for coffee/drinks on a layover

If your flight plans take you through DFW, be sure to say...maybe we could meet up for coffee/drinks on a layover

Driving the Beast F-250, Or a rental if the money/gas mileage works better.lol

Yes Tony I really did clean it !

Back