D.C. as the 51st State?

Kraut783

SOF Support
Maybe natural opportunity and a news story?

DC statehood may be a political issue, but why it's not a state is dressed up locally sort of like a "hands tied" situation. The license plates say, "Taxation without Representation" on them. It's basically viewed as an ongoing peaceful protest, forever, with no end in sight.

In my experience, locally, the sentiment, is (before degentrification picked up steam), the majority of residents in surrounding locations do not get involved DC statehood, because, if you live within the borders of the District (a small area), you are either ultra rich, or ultra poor and the open-air massive drug markets, extremely high murder rate in one quandrant of the city, and dysfunctional local government, makes people (rightfully) nervous.

I remember a bumper sticker, "Just say no to Marion Barry." It wasn't popular-- after getting out of prison for hookers and crack, he got reelected, [face palm] and was in charge of Parks and Rec and Streets: unsurprisingly, giant potholes errwhere.

Here's Why Washington D.C. Isn't a State

But the lack of statehood for the capital is enshrined in the Constitution. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17 of the document reads, “The Congress shall have Power To …exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States.”

An opinion piece from a Liberal writer:

Why DC should (and should not) be the 51st state

Admitting DC as a state is a non-starter for Republicans because it will be another perpetually-blue state. As long as the House, the Senate, and/or the Presidency is controlled by a Republican, I see no way that this will ever happen.

What's more interesting to me is that it didn't happen when Democrats controlled the House, the Senate (in filibuster-breaking numbers) and the Presidency. If this was/is such a big deal to Democrats, why didn't it happen then? Guess I have some research to do.

Yeah... DC is kind of a liberal hell hole. Shame what's happened to our capitol, but they can go pound sand. Statehood for them is a laughable push.

We need states to form in groups of 5 to keep symmetry on Old Glory. If Seychelles, Ibiza, Brazil and UAE want to join DC I'm all for it.....

:ROFLMAO: :thumbsup: 8-) ;-)

Last edited:
Admitting DC as a state is a non-starter for Republicans because it will be another perpetually-blue state. As long as the House, the Senate, and/or the Presidency is controlled by a Republican, I see no way that this will ever happen.

What's more interesting to me is that it didn't happen when Democrats controlled the House, the Senate (in filibuster-breaking numbers) and the Presidency. If this was/is such a big deal to Democrats, why didn't it happen then? Guess I have some research to do.
I disagree that it would be perpetually blue. PA voted Democrat for a lot of years but recently switched, especially with President Trump winning the state.

Each party could see it as an opportunity. We could figure it out, and it is becoming a more lucrative area year after year.

I disagree that it would be perpetually blue. PA voted Democrat for a lot of years but recently switched, especially with President Trump winning the state.

Each party could see it as an opportunity. We could figure it out, and it is becoming a more lucrative area year after year.
It was never meant to be a city with a huge dependent population.

The whole idea was that no state would hold the nation's capital.

Why change now?

Why not other territories that have been advocating for decades? Also, predominantly blue.

The issue of representation/DC statehood has been around since the early 1800s. It's a complex issue.

Also, fully support any territory becoming a state. If Guam/Samoa vote to join the union, let them.

It was never meant to be a city with a huge dependent population.

Maybe instead of giving DC statehood, they could just give most of the population area back to Maryland?

Maybe instead of giving DC statehood, they could just give most of the population area back to Maryland?

That's what they did with Arlington, my hometown. It's a county that doesn't have cities in it.

That's what they did with Arlington, my hometown. It's a county that doesn't have cities in it.
DC used to be a square, and what is now, Arlington, was chunked off. There was also something about Alexandria, to the South, originally but I don't recall it, off the top of my head. I read that they they were talking about that with DC, but on the MD side.

Back