Depression

tova

Catalyst.
o.k. Ya'll know what I've been through recently - I am finding that I am going into spells of depression (not all times but when it hits, it hits hard) -

I am angry at myself - at my heart for failing me and not being as strong as it should be - for me failing others because this makes me having to place unnecessary burdens on my family who already have their own medical issues - I hate that they are having to take over my responsibilities, especially the ones that I took on because of their conditions.

There are some other issues that I know it's just best to let go and to look at the positive in all this - and I am truly trying to focus on that but when something or someone sets me back a bit, damn, I do not have the resiliency like I used to - get irritable when things would normally roll off my back - stupid little things -

If anyone has any feedback or ideas of how to cope I'd appreciate it -

Thats good advice, you need to have routine, keep busy and exercise.

Find something to engage your mind, new/old hobby/activity that you enjoy and engages you at least mentally hopefully physically as well.

Remember depression is a normal emotion dont feel bad for feeling it, keep telling yourself this is a temporary state of mind and will pass.

The way brain works is that it will re-wire itself depending on what is going on at the time, if you are depressed and wallow in it, the brian will re-wire itself to be depressed normally which is why its important to occupy yourself with other things.

A simple thing like forcing a smile will actually make you feel better whether the smile is genuine or not. There is something in the brain that will react to the smile and will actually make you feel happier.

Or you can do what I do and get drunk
j/k that doesnt really help :)

I d'know if it was depression or not but when a firend (a girl I had feelings for) told me some pretty nasty things, well I couldn't quite get over it for some time (a couple of weeks). Off course the fact that I still had to attend classes helped a little bit (same what Boon wrote) but the fact it - it was hard, it was nasty and I think it was some kind of depression.
For me it was always the same: suck it up, be a man and belive that there is always sun after the rane.

A heart failure is, I'll bet, a big big thing. But I belive that every man (and women :)) is capable of achieving more than they think they can.
Talk to friends, people who can give You support. I'll bet You will need that right now.
Always look for the sunshine when the rain clouds are comming.

Rememba "Don't doubt the strength...." ;)

You'll do just fine
przytulho4.gif

P.S: haha funny story. I helped a friend get out of depression (then I understood I had feeling for her), and...well You know the rest of this soap opera.

Meditate. Seriously.

Then think of how much bigger a burden a depressed self places on those you care about when they have to worry about lifting you up. Rather harsh, maybe, but true.

I was in the same boat 6 years ago- blind, going through liver surgery #2, brokedick as hell, depending on everyone for everything because I couldn't even see, you name it. I'd always done yoga, but I'm a rather intense person so I started Bikram- hot yoga. You sweat everything out, your endorphins are drastically raised, you focus on the positive.

On a side note: it's also very heart-safe. My bp was 260/180 and I was at stroke stage when I arrived at the hospital. I've never had a problem doing my yoga. None.

Also, you're an extremely strong person, stronger than any depression. You don't have to cave to it.

Talk to your docs - let them know - feelings like you're having are not uncommon in people who suffered a major illness.

pm out

LL

My advice is to not jump into drugs immediatly, they have their place for sure, but try some of these other techniques first before you chemically alter your brain, give yourself a chance first. :2c:

My advice is to not jump into drugs immediatly, they have their place for sure, but try some of these other techniques first before you chemically alter your brain, give yourself a chance first. :2c:

Agreed 120%. The body's chemicals are so much more powerful than any substance man can create.

Agree. And agree on the meditation. If you've never done so before you should. Lay down in a private darkened room and visualize yourself in peaceful place and let your mind quiet itself....

Sometimes the body has a way of making the mind wake up. You've taken on a lot of responsibilites, one person cannot do it all.

Talk to your docs and also see if you can speak with someone who can provide some good guidance to you.

Remember depression is a normal emotion dont feel bad for feeling it, keep telling yourself this is a temporary state of mind and will pass.
+2

That Albatross is not your friend. He is a motherfucker and must be dropped.

Easier said than done, I know. But you deserve to be rid of the little buggar!

You've experienced a major life change and have faced your mortality. At 25 you could have had the same thing happen and bounced right back. As we get older we start seeing that life is finite. I'm not surprised you are having a bout of depression. Talk to your doctor. The medication you are on may be exacerbating it. Talking about it will help considerably, even if it is just an anonymous bunch of know it alls on a web site. If yoga helps, by all means yoga your ass off.

Thank you everyone for the advice - I know that even when I was at my worst in ICU, I still found things to laugh at or make the staff laugh so all is not a lost cause - I've heard of how when someone undergoes a major illness that it can be a common occurrence - it's just a bit unnerving how when it does hit, it comes completely out of the blue with little warning signs - and I am usually more in tune with my emotions - but still -

I will be talking with my doctors about the effects of the medications I am on (all 12 including shots in the stomach twice a day) - plus on a good note, I heard back from the cardio rehab people today so hopefully next week, I can begin "working out" so to speak to get back on my feet :D

I will be talking with my doctors about the effects of the medications
Do'oh....that's something I didn't think of right away. Definately something to be considered!

You've been given great advice here. I know you'll get through this tough time, Tova! :)

I think I'm seconding the advice of several people here...

Talk to a professional about your feelings. If you try to deal wth them yourself, it'll never get better. There is NO shame in asking for help.

Good luck sister. Heal quickly.

An addendum to the drug advice, seek out an internalist- not just the cardiologists, etc. I was taking 9 meds at once before I found mine- who's an absolute GOD. I've been down to 3 for the past 4 years and started seeing and feeling a marked difference the first week he started paring them down.

- plus on a good note, I heard back from the cardio rehab people today so hopefully next week, I can begin "working out" so to speak to get back on my feet :D

Guess you'll be able to add to the Elite Fitness after 30 thread? :D

LL

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, Tova. I hope that you will work through all of your difficulties...

Back