"Drink Good Beer"

amorris127289

Unverified
Loyal_1__51888.1409867069.600.600.png

I ordered this poster and put it up in my office this past weekend. I did not see another beer/ale/etc. thread so I figured I would start one up.

My question, what is your favorite beer/drink. I have not ventured that far off of the path but my brother got me hooked on Fat Tire when I visited him in pilot training. The worst drink I have ever tried was called Warlock or something like that. My goal is to try a new beer every weekend.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?
Has anyone brewed or tried to brew their own beer?

I'm not a craft beer guy. I could like it of that I have no doubt, but I'm pretty...basic when it comes to beer. With that said, something like Newcastle, Kilkenny Irish Cream, Guinness, Sam Adams Nobel Pils, Yuengling... I really like Newcastle because it is a dark beer but isn't heavy so I can drink it in FL's heat and not feel like death.

If I HAVE to drink something American, then Budweiser but Christ am I slumming at that point in my life. Bud and Miller and whatnot are for college students and homeless people....

In Michigan we have a pretty great craft beer scene. I like Full Circle by New Holland Brewing the best if we're talking craft beer. If I'm drinking something more mainstream then it's gotta be Yuengling Lager.

I mostly drink whiskey and scotch. I've yet to taste anything that comes close to the Lagavulin 16 year. That stuff is liquid gold.

Killians. Newcastle. Stella. Red Stripe. Probably in that order. The craft beers I've sampled seem like good beer that somebody's fucked up by putting other shit in it.

I usually buy Killian's or Newcastle when I'm picking up beer for at the house. Right now, I'm gonna order Sam Adams Oktoberfest 10 out of 10 times if we go out to eat. The only exception to that is if it happens to be a bar that has some craft porters or stouts. I'll go to Wegman's and do a build your own 6-pack every once in awhile.

Moose Drool or anything else from Big Sky.
Yeungling
Quilter's Irish Death.
Newcastle
Alaskan Amber
Pig's Ass Porter
Dancing Trout
I found a nice Amber lager, very interesting.
Guinness
Anything else that looks really interesting
NOT BUD.

I'm getting tired of every beer thinking it has to break the IBU scale with it's hoppiness, the malts and the grains used are an integral part of the flavor of good beer, you don't have to burn taste buds every time you have a beer... a nice finishing hop to enhance is great. IPAs suck on a really hot day, they are not refreshing after mowing the lawn... I hate to say it, but sludgy cold Rolling Rock or Miller fits the bill there.

Sam Adams Octoberfest.
Abita Springs Purple Haze, with Andy Gator in second place.
Guinness, either alone or layered with some Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (hat tip to @policemedic for turning me on to THAT treasure).
Three Philosophers.
Chimay Bleue.

There were so many beers that I was privileged to try when I was still living in Savannah, it's a wonder I didn't weigh 300lb by the time I moved back home. I wish I could remember them all.

Moose Drool, Guinness, Bitch Creek ESB, Kodiak Nut Brown Ale and anything else along those lines. I prefer brown ales, stouts and porters. If I can see through it easily I'm probably not interested. We used to have a few local places in Alaska we'd go to but here it's all from the store not the source.

Bud and Miller and whatnot are for college students and homeless people....

You forgot Natural Light. Can't beat a cold one at less than 70 cents a can.

We don't get many cool craft beers where I hang my hat but had a buddy bring back Moose Drool from up north and it was awesome.

List w/out Bud Heavy and the rest of them:

Most Abita (especially Purple Haze)
Blue Moon (on draft w/ orange slice)
Guinness
Sam Adams Cream Stout
Not Your Father's Rootbeer
Newcastle
Lienenkugel (best summer beer)

I'd really like to get more porters and stouts around here to try.

Favorite beer: Free and cold

Omme-Gang Three Philosophers...

Its a Quadruple Ale @ 9.6%

Hands down best beer I've ever had. You can find it in pints at Lowe's Foods and singles at Kroger or Harris Teeter. Very pricey though.

Otherwise it's Killian's or Red Hook Long hammer IPA

I genuinely feel sorry for all the Guinness fans on here who will never get to drink a proper pint of the stuff.

I genuinely feel sorry for all the Guinness fans on here who will never get to drink a proper pint of the stuff.

It's almost unbelievable how different it tastes when you get it overseas. Guinness Extra Cold was very good as well. I think the best pints I ever had were in Scotland.

Winter is almost exclusively Guinness (Closest I got to the factory was drinking a lot of it in Belfast). Sam Adams and Blue Point brewery Octoberfest brews. Sam Adams Boston Lager, Yuengling, Brooklyn Brewery does a good job of pretty much everything.
There are a couple of good Beers from New Zealand SPEIGHTS, MAC's Great White wheat beer.
The beer I pine for more than any other is South African Brewery's Castle Lager (the version Brewed in Zimbabwe, not South Africa). I was very excited when I heard SAB had brought out Miller (SAB is (or at least was a few years ago) the biggest brewer in the world) as I thought they would bring Castle to the USA, but no such luck, they rightly thought it would kick the shit out of other Miller products :wall: :thumbsdown:
Windhoek Lager from Namibia deserves an honorable mention as well.

I will drink Bud, Coors etc... without hesitation, as long as it's cold, and in a bottle/can, not from a tap.

On nasty hot days I enjoy a Corona with Lime or a Landshark (which I've recently discovered is brewed in Missouri. I was disappointed as I thought it was from Hawaii, which is where I first had one).

I'm very interested in brewing my own beer, and Mead, and Sake.

Back