Drone pilots to get medals?

Aren't they still rated pilots? What is the rationale for having rated pilots operate UAVs instead of say... a commo guy, or an intel officer, or an NCO?
They are reducing the number of rated guys (Reapers may be the exception) and going with guys who will spend 20 years droning (sorry, couldn't resist).

I created this Combat Admin Badge for our S-1 in 2008 or 2009. I would really like to find some place that would make these. I have a few people I would hand them out to. :D

View attachment 6377

I think it was in the works about 2 years ago. I hadn't heard if it is still being pushed through, got denied, or was approved. I haven't seen it around. I did however see what they were supposed to look like. Unfortunately, I didn't care enough about it to remember specifics.

Hahaha! No...
Korea, find someone in Korea to help you out.

I created this Combat Admin Badge for our S-1 in 2008 or 2009. I would really like to find some place that would make these. I have a few people I would hand them out to. :D

View attachment 6377

There was a poster on here not too long ago, a support guy, who had an AV with a picture of a coffee cup that had a triple tab canopy of "POWERPOINT", "EXCEL" and "WORD". I can say with no irony at all that I want one of those.

I remember talking to a Pred. pilot while I was out on a particular mission. We had a "lull" in the action so we began to B.S. I told him I had been up for about 24 hours straight and it was about 115 degress and hot as hell....His response, "when I get done with my shift my wife and I are driving up to northern California coast for a wine tasting!!!" WTF!!!??? So no, they should not even be considered for this medal.

Members of the Security Forces squadron on Bagram (of all ranks) have taken to wearing "Airborne" tabs, presumably for those who have completed BAC and are actually qualified.

They are reducing the number of rated guys (Reapers may be the exception) and going with guys who will spend 20 years droning (sorry, couldn't resist).
If they don't need rated pilots to operate the UAVs, why can't they have a platoon of enlisted operators, with an officer to handle "big picture" things like international airspace deconfliction, authorization to fire, etc.?

If they don't need rated pilots to operate the UAVs, why can't they have a platoon of enlisted operators, with an officer to handle "big picture" things like international airspace deconfliction, authorization to fire, etc.?

Because admitting that enlisted scum are capable of doing the same job as a rated, specially selected and trained aviator is anathema to them.

Because admitting that enlisted scum are capable of doing the same job as a rated, specially selected and trained aviator is anathema to them.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Seems like an enlisted career track for UAV operators would solve a lot of Air Force angst.

IMO they need to make certain career fields like that and also TACP, CCT and PJ into warrant officer slots. Once a NCO hits around E-6 to E-7 they should have the option of "crossing over". Plus nobody really fucks with WO's.

Also airspace deconfliction is not that big of a deal and usually done via big picture DASC/CRC (on the tactical level it falls on the JTAC).....authorization to fire usually lies on the ground commander who owns that piece of dirt...the UAV guy cannot fire on his own free will= bad ju-ju.

Back