Fayetteville, NC History Teacher Stomps on U.S. Flag in Classroom

In some of memberships lifetimes Jim Crow laws were enforced. In certain places in the south it is written into home deeds that blacks cannot purchase the home. Pretending that our nation doesn't have racism etched into its history is ignoring reality.
The simplified debtate-
Black guy- slavery.
White guy- don't care, never owned one, never benefited from it.
Black guy- Jim Crow.
White guy- don't care, didn't vote for it.
Black guy- racist.
White guy- ...

Even though I believe this individual to be a grade A jackass for making a "feet-on" component in a high school Am Hist class, I do recognize that he is Constitutionally protected.

I also recognize that feeling about the flag seems to shift to and fro with time and events, IMO. This can be especially true in this country, which is always in a state of social evolution, if not revolution.

If this person would have been shown placing his dirty feet onto the flag at the end of 2001, for instance, I think he'd have found the court of public opinion to be an unbearable weight.

I do not agree with a moral or recognize a legal right for him to do what he did.

/period.

What the fuck is a school voucher?

Effectively the ability to take your tax dollars to a school other than the municipal school system (the voucher pays tuition - or a portion of it- at a private institution if you decide the public one sucks).

At least in theory it brings something of a free market to education.

Effectively the ability to take your tax dollars to a school other than the municipal school system (the voucher pays tuition - or a portion of it- at a private institution if you decide the public one sucks).

At least in theory it brings something of a free market to education.

Sadly, this is a no go in Minnesota. There is no stronger union in Minnesota then the teachers union, and they have fought this every step of the way. There is no way they would willingly permit people to take their tax dollars out of the public school system and direct that money towards schools and education that they felt offered an education more effective for their children then what the state is able to offer.

If you choose to send your children to a charter school or private school in Minnesota, you will do so on top of the taxes you pay towards the public schools even though you don't use them.

Back