Former Canadian Forces Sniper Rob Furlong discusses his world record shot

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
Just found these videos. Thought all would enjoy.

Former Canadian Forces Sniper Rob Furlong discusses his world record shot of 2,430m in Afghanistan during Operation Anaconda in 2002 and his subsequent treatment by the military.

Part1
[LIVELEAK]d94_1190094285[/LIVELEAK]

Part2
[LIVELEAK]8eb_1190093849[/LIVELEAK]

It is a shame how his team was treated but it's good to see that he is still being the better man and a professional about it all. I am definitely proud to say that I served in the same Force as him. :)

Question for those on this board who know how to "reach out and touch" the BGs.

cpl. Rob Furlong sad that from 2430 meters he only saw "an outline of his target".

This pic I found on USMC.mil

800pxsniperscopehx2.jpg

so how small that Talib must have been ?

small. It all depends on the scope. The Mac Tac .50 Has a 16x scope so the TGT would have been quite small and without any defininition.

What was the weather like on the day he shot? what were the atmospheric conditions? where was the sun in relation to the target? What was the background like?

Too many variables in my mind to put it down to something as simple as a scope or the size of the target.

What was the weather like on the day he shot? what were the atmospheric conditions? where was the sun in relation to the target? What was the background like?

Too many variables in my mind to put it down to something as simple as a scope or the size of the target.

You forgot Spin Drift. And having talked to Robby and Aaron, about the size and detail of the target I think I get the idea.

I'm no sniper but thats just shit I know will alter your view.

If you asked me about a shot that distance I would've said only luck would allow it, I now know differently, really bloody amazing.

That team took turns beating the world record until this shot. As was stated in the video, it took one shot for them to get good dope on the target, Robby missed the second, but it hit the targets back pack. SO they knew the dope was good, and on the third they nailed him.
It's mathmatical. Plug the dope into the formula's and voila. Takes amazing shooters and spotters to aquire the dope and follow though with the shot, but I don't think luck had anything to do with it.

I agree, no luck.
I was saying if you had asked me before this that would be my thinking about a shot at the range.

After the first shot the Talibs did not run did they ? after the second shot they had to know something was up. Gues the snipers were simply faster on the trigger than they were on their feet (the Talibs I mean).

After the first shot the Talibs did not run did they ? after the second shot they had to know something was up. Gues the snipers were simply faster on the trigger than they were on their feet (the Talibs I mean).

In Afghanistan, there is not always a place to hide.
Back to your original question ravage, remember that the spotter can see much more then the sniper. 16 power scope versus 40 power spotting scope. So the targets looked different to the spotter then to the sniper.

Back