Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse in Baltimore

Blizzard

Evidently a container ship hit a support for the bridge causing the entire bridge to collapse. Mass casualty event with cars reportedly in the river.

Only saving grace may be time of night. Reminds me of the bridge collapse in Minneapolis back in '07, except that was due to design flaw/structural fatigue.

This is why Harbor Pilots make huge money. No way thst was the first time the ship sailed through there. I would point to terrorism because that's such a massive fuck up if not and will close the river for a while.

It was Indians. Like Indians from the Ganges River India. WTF.

“DALI”, Francis Scott Key Bridge Incident

Harbor pilots are typically local, most are in a union. Maryland's requirements:
PORT: A Transportation System
OneStop

In addition to years of experience and prior certification(s), they must also graduate from an approved maritime college/ university. The crew is Indian, but I doubt the pilot's Indian.

DALI, Container Ship - Details and current position - IMO 9697428 - VesselFinder

It doesnt appear to be, but of course terrorism hasn't been ruled out yet.

This is why Harbor Pilots make huge money. No way thst was the first time the ship sailed through there. I would point to terrorism because that's such a massive fuck up if not and will close the river for a while.

I read in a way-too-early-to-be-conclusive article likely cause was rudder failure/mechanical issue. I am sure the investigation has not even started. In any case it's freaking awful, so tragic.

Sure seems like the pilot had one job. To not hit the fucking pillar. But I've also heard there was a mechanical failure.

Video shows lights flickering on the ship prior to hitting the bridge. The pilot may not have had a choice (in that he had no control).

Also, apparently newer bridges have guardrails in place in case this happens but due to the age of this bridge, it did not. Matter of time, I guess.

Aside from the issues of the bridge no longer being available for commuter traffic, etc., sounds like the bridge has now effectively closed the port of Baltimore, with no shipping traffic able to go in or out of the port until it's cleared.

Aside from the issues of the bridge no longer being available for commuter traffic, etc., sounds like the bridge has now effectively closed the port of Baltimore, with no shipping traffic able to go in or out of the port until it's cleared.

We were just talking about that at work and what industries this will affect with the harbor being closed for the foreseeable future. That's on top of increased costs to re-route ships to other ports.

Yeah, I'd go with a maintenance failure which exonerates the pilot at least. Or should. Regardless, that person has to live with this morning for the rest of their life.

Some here may remember when the Summit Venture hit the Sunshine Skyway. 35 dead. But then it was horrible weather. I'd agree with some kind of technical/mechanical malfunction with this latest incident.

Some here may remember when the Summit Venture hit the Sunshine Skyway. 35 dead. But then it was horrible weather. I'd agree with some kind of technical/mechanical malfunction with this latest incident.

I work with a guy who knew some of the people on the Greyhound.

Back