Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse in Baltimore

I'm going to go ahead and wait for a good story that explains how that big of a fuck up wasn't either intentional or or the direct result of some degree of criminal neglect.
This! I'm guessing criminal neglect, if not incompetence or outright sabotage.

Harbor pilots are typically local, most are in a union. Maryland's requirements:
PORT: A Transportation System
OneStop

In addition to years of experience and prior certification(s), they must also graduate from an approved maritime college/ university. The crew is Indian, but I doubt the pilot's Indian.

DALI, Container Ship - Details and current position - IMO 9697428 - VesselFinder
Indian vessel, Indian crew, if it's computerized I wonder if there's gonna be Indian code involved. Like the Boeing 737 coding mishap.

Boeing’s 737 Max Software Outsourced to $9-an-Hour Engineers

Even if it is some sort of mechanical failure - a vessel operating in those waters at that level of commerce doesn't just veer into the column at the last minute. Not when the space they SHOULD have been pointing that boat at is ten times wider than the boat itself.

But hey, Epstein killed himself - so did Vince Foster - so crazy things DO happen.

Dropping the fucking anchors is always an option.
No.

While the anchor would have likely been long enough to touch bottom (drawing 40’ in a 50’ channel), it would have been ineffective. A 100KT ship already moving at just over 7kts is not going to stop on a dime or run a slalom course with lives at stake atop the slalom gates. Had the anchor bit immediately, it would not have had any effect great enough to stop the collision. The distance required to stop that vessel would be a few miles.

Considering the pilot radioed a mayday advising of loss of propulsion/steerage leading to a possible collision, the few hands on board would likely not have made it in time to manually release the anchor, should there have even been enough hands available to do the job, because they were handling bigger issues while already close to the bridge.

I’m not a mariner, but several in my dad’s family were, and I got the safety briefings when it came to swimming and boating in Mobile Bay and showing due caution and respect for the shipping channel, i.e. “big boats can kill like big trains, here’s how.”

This! I'm guessing criminal neglect, if not incompetence or outright sabotage.

Indian vessel, Indian crew, if it's computerized I wonder if there's gonna be Indian code involved. Like the Boeing 737 coding mishap.

Boeing’s 737 Max Software Outsourced to $9-an-Hour Engineers

Brother works IT management for big payroll firm. Rather than hire a Jr. American head shed asks for 3 Indians. No knock on indians, I'm sure they have guys that are U.S. or better trained, but the average developer they get is trash. Bro says he spends 30+ hours/wk between him and American dev under him fixing their F'd up code. And my brother is no America 1st type of dude.

No.

While the anchor would have likely been long enough to touch bottom (drawing 40’ in a 50’ channel), it would have been ineffective. A 100KT ship already moving at just over 7kts is not going to stop on a dime or run a slalom course with lives at stake atop the slalom gates. Had the anchor bit immediately, it would not have had any effect great enough to stop the collision. The distance required to stop that vessel would be a few miles.

Considering the pilot radioed a mayday advising of loss of propulsion/steerage leading to a possible collision, the few hands on board would likely not have made it in time to manually release the anchor, should there have even been enough hands available to do the job, because they were handling bigger issues while already close to the bridge.

I’m not a mariner, but several in my dad’s family were, and I got the safety briefings when it came to swimming and boating in Mobile Bay and showing due caution and respect for the shipping channel, i.e. “big boats can kill like big trains, here’s how.”

I respectfully disagree with my colleague in fuckery. There is clear evidence that even an Iowa class battleship can spin around like a Russian ballerina on meth. Case in point—I give you the Mighty Mo executing the Oahu Drift maneuver (which was first developed by Admiral Halsey whilst aboard BB-62 New Jersey).

Back